Author Topic: FINISHED 1/7 (Kotobukiya recast) Kinoshita Takako (Chinese Dress ver)  (Read 6840 times)

March 22, 2009, 10:05:47 PM
Read 6840 times

Tidalwave

• Information
    • View Profile
Finally done!  On the last day too.

When FFF said that this contest is about trying new things, I really took that statement to the next level.  With the completion of this kit, it was my first time:
- building a resin kit
- using an airbrush+compressor (all my previous work was either done via spray-cans or hand-painted)
- (consequently) using my new spray-booth
- using wood in any way for modelling
- using Aves Apoxie Sculpt
- using Future Floor Acrylic as a clear-coat (my previous clear-coats were from spray-cans)
- using waterslide decals
- making and printing my own waterslide decals

I'll be honest: I realized as I was finishing this up, this is far from my best work.  But, for a first time project in a gazillion aspects, I'm quite proud of it, and this kit will probably have great sentimental value to me in the long run.

Anyhow, enough of my babbling, onto the pics.

Here's the girl seen for 4 angles:

Closer-up of the girl: it's hard to see in these pics, but the dress is semi-transparent; skin-tight parts are more skin-colored than the looser parts:

Overhead view to show more of the decals (for some reason, my shading for the skin and stockings isn't very apparent):

Close-up of the food: 2 pineapple buns, 3 white buns (I imagine that they're filled with lotus seed paste inside), rice noodle rolls in soy sauce, and an empty plate:

:)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:11:41 AM by Tidalwave »

March 22, 2009, 11:27:32 PM
Reply #1

blackito

• Paragon of Justice
  • Information
  • Bonta-Kun Hates You !!!
    • View Profile
Dude...
This is @#$%ing amazing what you did there with the table. I wasn't expecting that at all. The color you picked for the dress matches well with the white slightly bluish color of the stockings. The small dishes with the food are also a great additions. Congratulations on your first kit man. You deserve it. ;)
この世界を守りたい

March 23, 2009, 01:03:59 AM
Reply #2

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
This turned out really pretty great. I love that you tried all of those new things AND completed in the time limit.  The details in the food are great, and the decals turned out really nice.

My only gripe, and its a very small one, is that the hair and skin are a bit too shiny. In the future you can add Tamiya Flat Base to your Future Floor Acrylic to give it a flat tone. I believe the mix (roughly off the top of my head) is 70% FFA 30% Flat Base. If you put too much Flat Base it will end up cloudy when it dries.

Great job!

March 23, 2009, 05:18:01 AM
Reply #3

Tidalwave

• Information
    • View Profile
Whoops.  Turns out I linked to the wrong image for the last pic.  Fixed that up.

Thanks for the compliments guys.  It's been an interesting month with lots of new learning, and I'm glad it turned out okay in the end.

@mtomczek:
Thanks for pointing that out.  The skin is actually a lot flatter than it looks in the pics; I'm attributing it to my not-diffused-enough light sources in my light-booth when taking pics.  Though I agree, it probably could be a little flatter.  I think my mix of Tamiya Flat Base to FFA was about 20-25%.  I was actually afraid of making it too flat, in fear of getting a cloudy finish...
The hair, though, was coated with about 12%/78% of FlatBase/FFA intentionally; it looked great under natural light, but too much of a semi-gloss in my light-booth.

March 23, 2009, 05:48:55 AM
Reply #4

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
This really turned out nice. Great job on the dress, the decals, The sheer paint job & colors.
Well now I'm hungry. :naughty:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:49:16 AM by chaos_theory »
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

March 23, 2009, 07:37:38 AM
Reply #5

Tidalwave

• Information
    • View Profile
A little under half-hour before the deadline, here's one last picture taken outside, in natural light.

March 23, 2009, 08:12:59 AM
Reply #6

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Great job, again... Great job on the decals.

I like the whole idea for your diorama base, the dining table worked out nicely.

Did the food come with the kit? If not, where did they come from?
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

March 23, 2009, 08:20:55 AM
Reply #7

Tidalwave

• Information
    • View Profile
Great job, again... Great job on the decals.

I like the whole idea for your diorama base, the dining table worked out nicely.

Did the food come with the kit? If not, where did they come from?
The food didn't come with the kit, unfortunately.  I had to scupt those out of Apoxie Sculpt.  My family was looking at me funny when I was using my cellphone to take pics of random dishes when I was out eating at dim sum a few weeks ago.   :D

March 23, 2009, 08:26:47 AM
Reply #8

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

March 23, 2009, 09:21:26 AM
Reply #9

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Very nice work I wondered what kind of base you would make. That's awesome. And you finished in time. Congrats.