Author Topic: MG 1/100th Kampfer Inspired by GameraBaenre and FF  (Read 1753 times)

July 05, 2006, 08:52:31 PM
Read 1753 times

DarklightAdept

• Information
    • View Profile
a while back when amazon was clearing out some of their stock of Master Grade kits, I picked up a pair to practice on.  This Kampfer is a pair of firsts.  It is both my first Master Grade kit, and My First Airbrushed Kit.

I had 2 Sources of inspiration while coming up with a color scheme.  I loved GameraBaenre's SD Kampher with the Blue Body and the Lone Red Shoulder. http://www.gamerabaenre.com/sd_kampfer.htm  But I also loved FF's Candy-coated Griffon http://www.fichtenfoo.com/02GiantRobots/02a-Griffon.html

So unsure of what to do, I decided to try a little of both.

I had put off registering and posting this until I had gotten around to making a base for him, but I don't know if I'll ever decide on a pose to put him in.  But when I saw FF's Tachikoma tonight, I felt the time for posting was upon me.  After reading up on the griffon's Candy-Coating, I decided to try to do my model in an Alclad Style Candy Coat.

The Reds are a Gloss Black, Followed by Alclad's Copper, with a Tamiya Clear Red Coat on Top.  The Blues (I know it looks purple in some shots, I think it's from the reds reflecting) Is Alclad Jet Exhaust with a Blue Tamiya Clear Coat.  The metallics are a Compination of Alclad Steel and Jet Exhaust.

These pictures will start with the oldest first, and end with ones taken tonight (In near darkeness and a 15 second exposure for fun :D)  The Unfortunate Victim Model is a Test-Fitted GP-01 that I have never gotten around to finishing. Maybe Some Day, until then, well, Live by the Blade, die by the Blade.

These next 2 Are just to show the differences in light.  the Last shot was the 15 Second Exposure.

The Full set of my pics is located at http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/darklightadept/kampfer/ - There are some full Body Shots as well as some in-progress that show off the Candy Coating and the Undercarriage.

July 06, 2006, 01:04:36 AM
Reply #1

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
That candy coat looks great! Just maybe the colors look abit weird. Your last photo is abit grainy, probably because the ISO settings are too high.
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

July 06, 2006, 01:24:38 AM
Reply #2

Artic Fox

• Information
    • View Profile
Love the colors, but when I was looking at the fist pic I noticed a seam line on the shoulder. Great kit nonetheless

July 06, 2006, 06:01:19 AM
Reply #3

DarklightAdept

• Information
    • View Profile
there are a bunch of errors in this kit.  I had just intended to use it as a test for airbrushing, so I didn't put too much effort into seam removal  (that's another first, but I'll save that for another kit.) That shoulder is also missing a shoulder spike and has a really nasty texture on it from a bad attempt at priming and paint stripping :(

I had liked the contrast in Gamera's sole red shoulder, and thought of doing something like that, then it sort of turned into a two toned paint job when I started candy coating.

Hehe, the last photo is also grainy because it was taken in extremely low light with a15 second exposure.  It's mostly just to give you an idea what the model looks like without all the reflections  :D

July 07, 2006, 07:52:30 AM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Looks like you did a nice job on the candy coat. The seams definitely need work. I can't say I'm a fan at all of the red and blue together. Looks a bit "cobbled".

July 07, 2006, 10:05:33 AM
Reply #5

DarklightAdept

• Information
    • View Profile
yeah, conceptually, I loved the idea, I looked at the griffon like a "car" and thought I'd try doing it to the Kampfer...but in reallity, it just clashes a bit too much.  But it turned out afully pretty even if clashy, my real regret is in not doing the seams, thinking I was just doing a test job