Author Topic: 1/100 MG Plan 303E Deep Striker (long progress)  (Read 9415 times)

November 02, 2006, 12:09:55 AM
Read 9415 times

druid_99

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Well, this is my "ambitious" project for this year. Not sure it will be completed in time but I might as well show it all to you. I will be building the Plan303E Deep Striker in 1/100 scale.

The main contributor for this kit is the 1/100 MG Ex-S Gundam, a whole lot of plastic sheets and a whole lot of putty and epoxy.

THE CANON
This will be the biggest part for the DS and the most complicated as I have to minimize the use of plastic sheets and Bondite and figure out the way to make the parts sturdy yet will use as less cost as possible. What I do is I make a drawing of the parts in actual scale (1/100) and cut the plastic plates according to the size. Then I cut the parts off and attach the plastic plates together to make the base look. Then I filled the insides with a wood block cut to size... BAD IDEA... I accidentally drop some water on the wood and it expands a lot making the part looks bulgy. Back off to square one....  

Luckily the plastic is not damaged when I pry the wood out. I then reassemble the plastic parts and fill the canon part with silicone sealent. Although a bit heavy, I can at least make sure that the part is sturdy to handle.

This is what it looks like when the basic assembly is finished.
Canon body

After the block is completed, then I cut some more plastic sheets for the sides. It is then drilled for the holes on the sides as well as the placement area for the canon mount (the big round thing on the canon).

Updated main canon body 1
Updated main canon body 2

Link edited - Thanks nath_1977

November 02, 2006, 01:34:15 AM
Reply #1

nath_1977

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechapinoy.net
sir, i think your link doesnt show any images.

November 02, 2006, 02:26:01 AM
Reply #2

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Good start so far!  I'm always impressed with people that attempt the Deep Striker in 1/100 scale.  If you need some images of a completed MG conversion, let me know - I've got a bunch of them.

November 02, 2006, 03:20:01 AM
Reply #3

erix93

• Information
    • View Profile
Wa..haha... welcome druid_99!!!

Great work U got there!!  :wink:

November 02, 2006, 05:16:27 AM
Reply #4

Chopper Dave

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://chopperdave.minitokyo.net
Wow...thats quite the undertaking! So far it looks good though, so im sure you can pull it off! Can't wait to see more pics! ^_^

November 02, 2006, 06:04:58 AM
Reply #5

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Solid scratch-work so far. I have a horrible time trying to build something that small and yet that precise. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

November 02, 2006, 06:28:53 AM
Reply #6

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Welcome druid_99. :)

It's good to see someone try the Plan303E, it's quite a monster.  I think the GFF version is pretty good, you might want to use it as your scale reference.  So far the part looks great, the cannon must be like a feet long?  I'm interested to see how to scratch the front "projected cockpit" as well, I think that shape is pretty tough to handle.

Good luck and keep us posted.

November 02, 2006, 03:50:29 PM
Reply #7

druid_99

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Major Blah"
Welcome druid_99. :)

It's good to see someone try the Plan303E, it's quite a monster.  I think the GFF version is pretty good, you might want to use it as your scale reference.  So far the part looks great, the cannon must be like a feet long?  I'm interested to see how to scratch the front "projected cockpit" as well, I think that shape is pretty tough to handle.

Good luck and keep us posted.

For a 1/100 scale, the canon with its barrel is about 3ft long if I'm not mistaken... I need to look back at the calculations that I've done. As for the front "projected cockpit" or the I-field generator, wait till you see the next progress...  :D

Fulcy - Thanks. I've got about 70++ images of the Deep Striker and a few books with the images of the Deep Striker for reference. I can't say no to your offer though.  :D

Erix93 - Thanks Erix93, good to see some familiar names here.

Chopper Dave - I'm trying to complete this hopefully by the end of this year and if this build is complete, I might be thinking of putting it into a diorama.

Zerobxu - It's not that small actually, the center part of the canon is about 6cm long and 3cm wide, so, I have no problem handling it yet.

November 02, 2006, 04:22:44 PM
Reply #8

druid_99

• Information
    • View Profile
THE CANON CARTRIDGE
Ok, now for the weapons cartridge on the back (the oval thingy). First of all I would like to apologise for not having a step-by-step progress on some of the parts build as I have build it quite some time ago. Back to the topic. I cut the shape by drawing the desired shape onto the plastic sheets. I make two of the shape and stick it together with a few layers of plastic for the thickness, then I apply epoxy for the basic shape before using the trusty Dremel to remove all the unwanted excess of the epoxy.

This is the shape that I get. The proportion on the curve looks off a bit but it has been corrected using epoxy (again) and Dremel.
CANON CARTRIDGE

THE SENSOR
This is the sensor or whatever parts that you call it.

I use the rear sensor that comes with the Ex-S kit and I cut off the top parts. This is the part where the hose that is attached to the canon comes out. Again with a lot of epoxy, alluminium tubing and plastic sheets I shape the look that I wanted before shaping it again using Dremel and wetsanding. The picture shown before the panel lines is scribed on the epoxy.
SENSOR

THE I-FIELD GENERATOR
From the picture, the DS have some sort of extension on the chest. It is the I-Field generator or the "projected cockpit"  as mentioned by Major Blah.

For this I use the smaller chest extension from the Ex-S and using a few strips of plastic sheets, I glue the basic shape to make a frame for the extension. When the frame is done, I put more plastic sheets to make it sturdier and to get the overall look without using much epoxy. Then I cover the gaps using epoxy and using Dremel to shape it up. There are still much more needs to be done here.
I-FIELD GENERATOR

THE RADOME
I think this is what they call it... Hehehehe... Well, what the heck, I just name it as what I think it is...  

To build this, I cut two circular shape with different sizes (one for the front portion and one for the back) and using a few plastic strips with uniform sizes I make the basic structure as shown in the picture. This structure will be filled with plastic sheet before adding the epoxy for the shape.

The holes are done by scribing it bit by bit (luckily I got a template for the circular parts) and brass tubing is attached to it.
RADOME

MULTI-SENSOR
This is the name as mentioned in one of my reference pictures.

This device is attached to the DS's left hand. Again I cut three circles with different sizes and elevates them using strips of plastic sheets with uniform widths and heights and again plastic sheets is filled and epox is applied to give the shape before Dremel is used for the smoothing process.
MULTI-SENSOR

November 02, 2006, 04:29:07 PM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Welcome Druid! Fantastic scratch work so far! Keep up the work and don't let it burn you out!

November 02, 2006, 04:38:41 PM
Reply #10

druid_99

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
Welcome Druid! Fantastic scratch work so far! Keep up the work and don't let it burn you out!

Thanks FF, I'm planning this build for quite some time and I'll try to get it done as I always admire the looks of the Deep Striker. I have stocked my plastic sheets and other plastic items to make sure this build will be completed.

November 02, 2006, 04:53:23 PM
Reply #12

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Cool!!! So far things are coming along very nicely, you have my respect for emparking on such a amishious project.

I did not realize how big a Gundam Deep Striker in 1/100 scale until I did the math.

I look forward to seeing more progress photos, and don't forget to properly balance the whole model so it is not to heavy on one side.
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

November 02, 2006, 04:56:25 PM
Reply #13

druid_99

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: "fulcy"
Here they are:
http://mechaskunk.com/random/01.jpg
http://mechaskunk.com/random/02.jpg
http://mechaskunk.com/random/03.jpg
http://mechaskunk.com/random/04.jpg
http://mechaskunk.com/random/05.jpg
http://mechaskunk.com/random/06.jpg
http://mechaskunk.com/random/07.jpg
http://mechaskunk.com/random/08.jpg
http://mechaskunk.com/random/09.jpg

Also, did you notice that Samuel Decals sells a Plan 303E decal set in 1/100 scale?

http://www.samueldecal.com/html/other.htm

Thanks for the link Fulcy I really appreciate it. As for the decals from Samuel Decals, I've already ordered and recieved them a few days ago. It's huge and I like it...  :D

November 03, 2006, 01:13:15 AM
Reply #14

druid_99

• Information
    • View Profile
Update:

THE MAIN GUN ELEVATING ARC
This is the name given in the reference picture I have as well. I cut off the plastic sheets and make 3 copies each of the fin parts (the upper parts) and only one of the lower part. Then the fin is attached together to make the fin. This picture shown is still in its unfinished state. It still needs some detailing to be done.

The fin will be attached to the elevating arc that will be attached to the main body of the canon. To build this, I cut roughly the curved shape for guidance and using bits of plastic sheets uniformly cut, I arrange it on the lower part of the curve as a base. I then cut a few strips with the same width and length and paste it to get the sturdy shape of the curved part. As for the slanted plastic, I just roughly cut the plastic to shape, paste it and using a rough file, I file it off until only some excess is left to be tackled using sandpaper. This is still unfinished and still needs to be filled with epoxy and sanding to complete it.
MAIN GUN ELEVATING ARC

THE RADOME (update)
Remember the good ol' Radome that I build the skeleton previously? Ok, now is the time to give the radome some flesh and skin.
For the gaps on the radome, I filled the gaps with plastic plates before applying epoxy on it and smoothen it for the final shape. Then using a very rough file, I file off the uneven surfaces and wetsand it to finish it off. Brass tubes cut into shape as well as some parts from the Ex-S is added to give the "busy" look on the radome.
As for the surrounding, this is a bit tiring thing to do, I cut partially 1cm length and bend it (not broke it) and paste it onto the sides of the radome before smoothing it using 500grit sandpaper.

This is the final product (still needs cleaning and sanding)

RADOME UPDATE FRONT
RADOME UPDATE SIDE
RADOME UPDATE CLOSE-UP

CANON (REAR)
This was build about the same time with the canon mid-section but due to not having any digital camera that time, so no progress can be shown except the partially completed parts.

Again, for this build, I draw the exact size of the parts before measuring and cutting of the plastic sheets. After a few layers of plastic sheets and plastic strips, this is what it looks like.
CANON VIEW 1
The under-side parts is made of plastic tubes and some brass tubes. I drilled the hole for the parts before gluing it to the canon part and applied some epoxy.
CANON VIEW 2

Ok, these are the pictures of the built but not yet completed parts of the project. Note the I-Field generator is smoothed and the weapon cartridge is more proportioned.
PARTS IMAGE 1
These are another picture with all the parts that is built including the main canon part. Note the size of the 1/100 Ex-S head.  :D
PARTS IMAGE 2

Comments and suggestions appreciated.  8)

November 03, 2006, 01:47:16 AM
Reply #15

heavyarmscustom

• Information
    • View Profile
this may be a little late but has anyone thought about using the Dendrobium  as a platform for a DS
 I think i would be the 144 scale  it would be good as a base as well as the parts namely the cannon and the I-feild as well as the main engins.
my two cents
also much respect druid_99 for your endevor to build this monstrosity of a gundam from scratch
clifton
Heavyarms custom would be an unstopable killing machine if the damn thing never ran out of bullets!!!!!

November 03, 2006, 02:42:01 AM
Reply #16

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Quote from: "heavyarmscustom"
this may be a little late but has anyone thought about using the Dendrobium  as a platform for a DS
 I think i would be the 144 scale  it would be good as a base as well as the parts namely the cannon and the I-feild as well as the main engins.
my two cents
also much respect druid_99 for your endevor to build this monstrosity of a gundam from scratch
clifton

Actually, the parts from the dendrobium are too different and would require too much modification to make it work - the deep striker and dendrobium are just too different...

November 03, 2006, 02:45:04 AM
Reply #17

Chopper Dave

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://chopperdave.minitokyo.net
Wow...you sir are good at what you do! Im very impressed! I might be a lowly lurker here who doesnt do any builds of his own but I know excellence when I see it!

November 03, 2006, 06:37:49 AM
Reply #18

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Good work!!  I'm amazed by your scratch-built parts, they look very close to the reference.  I'm most impressed with the radome and the i-field generator.  The big scrotch  :lol: is going to be another interesting piece.  Did you order parts from Bandai for the lower boosters?  The bottom ones have some extensions and I'm interested to see how you handle it as well.  What about the propellant tanks?  Wave tanks (large)?  

Sorry for asking so many questions(You see I've quite excited about your project).  I've been doing some planning on a Bst as well, got some parts already, but not nearly as ambitious and nice as yours.

Chopper Dave:  I think you post too much to qualify for being a lurker!  :lol:  :razz:

November 03, 2006, 07:56:41 AM
Reply #19

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Quote from: "Major Blah"
Chopper Dave:  I think you post too much to qualify for being a lurker!  :lol:  :razz:

Yeah... I think you're about 120 posts over quota to qualify as anything resembling "lurker" status.

Great scratch-work! I'm learning more just by following along.  :D
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers