Author Topic: New to this forum and a have a few questions?  (Read 3940 times)

March 30, 2005, 12:34:06 PM
Read 3940 times

heavyarmscustom

• Information
    • View Profile
Hello All
I just became a member to this form yesterday.
I found Fichtenfoo through Animation Scale Models 4U.
A little about me
I've been in to gundam since I saw the 1/144 scale models in a FL asian store at 6
I've been in to robot and mecha since i saw Star wars at age 2 1/2
but I've been in to gundam for the last 7 years and remember the 120.00 MG kits at import shops in Seattle in the late 90's

but I have come across some things in this forum that I have never seen at other forum

I guess the most important question is:
Is there a data base for all the BLK/White drawings that you use to figure out paint schemes. as I do not have a printer nor a scanner to do my own.
and is there a bilingual person on this board as it seems  the bablefish doesn't like my computer anymore and I can't shell out 70 to 110.00 for a translator program.

I love Gundam and have a massed quite a collection of MG's I tend to stay with the ground types. but I have a friend that's all about Z, ZZ, Sentinel.

OH that reminds me I just got a PG Zaku (first one) I what to do a really  ambious(sp)
paint scheme. I just need to know  any one had tried multiple level painting?

I want to do a  silhouette  break up pattern but do it in levels(it's Paint pattern then clear then paint then clear, rinse repeat)  that will give it a depth and  
changeability .
and my question  is what paint/clear coat can i use in thin layers that will not be to thick and make it look like a blob of UGH!

I hope I explained well enough if not say the word and I will try to explain it more

thanks for any help
clifton
Heavyarms custom would be an unstopable killing machine if the damn thing never ran out of bullets!!!!!

March 30, 2005, 01:08:03 PM
Reply #1

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Information
  • Char!
    • View Profile
Welcome to FFF.  If you are looking for line art, you may want to start with The Word's Images Page. ;)

March 31, 2005, 10:23:36 AM
Reply #2

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Welcome Clifton...

About the break-up pattern. Not sure exactly what you want there... like a fractal camo? A good thin clearcoat is Future Floor acrylic. Check my tips page for more info.

April 08, 2005, 11:30:02 AM
Reply #3

heavyarmscustom

• Information
    • View Profile
first off thank phil for the line art link it will come in handy soon.

to Fichten

i'm trying this patten out on my PG zaku first before I use it on my GM sniper in a diorama I have planed .

so as to what I'm trying to produce in the como pattern.
I guess it's a fractal pattern but in bigger squares and turned about 40 to 30 degree then layered in a cascade pattern. the effect I'm looking for is a slate like formation

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/dnh/ncTIVe.htm
(scroll down)

and my idea is to make the paint build up in such a way that the squares are in reality floating in the clear so if you move the view of the paint changes as well. now put it on a three dimensional robot and the complications come in.

the end result will be in a Mars based diorama and the GM sniper will be on a crater lip on a ledge and I want him to blend into the rock around him to the perspective of the viewer looking at the Diorama

I hope that helps
I see it in my head but getting it out is the hard part but I think the future will be the keystone in the application

thanks for the help
clifton
Heavyarms custom would be an unstopable killing machine if the damn thing never ran out of bullets!!!!!

April 10, 2005, 07:39:11 AM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I really don't see this working out the way you want it too. Your clearcoats would likely have to be .5mm-1mm to really show this effect. And having clearcoats and paint that thick would be horrible for any details added to the kit. You're better off trying to do the fractal design then adding shadows with the airbrush to give the illusion of this effect. Thick paint is gonna make building the kit a real pain and the end result is not going to look as great as you want.

HOWEVER... I just thought of a possible solution...! 8)  

There are 2 option sets for the PG Zaku with clear armor parts and extra weapons. You can probably achieve your desired effect using those by painting the back of the armor with one color, then masking the fron and painting it the second color. However the sets are hard to find. Try ebay. You'll need both sets as I believe each set only has 1/2 the armor. :x

April 11, 2005, 12:15:30 AM
Reply #5

fugu

• Information
    • View Profile
Maybe you can try making a variation of the technique used here.

http://members12.tsukaeru.net/peck/html2/1/hyakushiki_a.htm

I don't know if the paint is like that or it a technique. All I know is that when I see it on cars the color change depends on the angle of light hitting it. If you can figure out how it's done then a subtle checker/fractal pattern can become more visible at certain angles.
..hmm, I'm supposed to type something witty here...

April 11, 2005, 10:29:27 AM
Reply #6

heavyarmscustom

• Information
    • View Profile
To Fichten
 I like the idea of the clear parts for the ZAKU but rember this is a starting poing the end result will be on a MG  Sniper GM I just want to see if it can be done.
but I just thought of an idea what about decal paper and layering it between the coats of clear? Granted I would have to cut out a thousand small squares but would it work? Or do we run into the same problems with thickness.
just a thought
clifton