Author Topic: Help me ! Some serious problem !!!!!!!  (Read 5476 times)

March 21, 2006, 10:58:45 AM
Read 5476 times

Kaus

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 10
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
I always use the lacquer-base paint (TOA) for my paint job, but if i not careful the paint can make my model meld and emit some hazardous element which bad for my health . So i decided to try the so-called acrylic paint you guys recommend. Then, my problem started now, first i go to my Tamiya Dealer and buy some paint, and they tell me they out of Tamiya paint (sic), so they sell me their new paint -Testor- Arcyl acrylic base. I got no choice cause they told me that they have no intetion of shipping Tamiya paint again (!), what kind of dealer is it ????  Then i got some paint from them which cost me about 20$ (3$ per small bottle), damn those paint sure cost alot ! But i cannot help it so i "happily" (sic) bring those new paint to my workshop, although FF recommend Tamiya paint in his/her painting tutorrial (flash) i think that all acrylic base paint all the same so i mix 1 bottle of flat black and 1/3 bottle of flat white and ready to paint my model. The last step is, when i add isopropyl alcohol 100% to thin the paint, they started to PRECIPITATE ! (dunno if this is the correct words, i use the online dictionary to check)
which mean i must use the Testor brand thinner. After that i rush to my Tamiya dealer and they tell me they dont have the thinner, they recommend me to thin with water (to hell with 'em). So, i thinned with water and they take me alot of time to DRY. So i run to my drawer and take some artist arcylic paint to try. Now i find that artist acrylic paint can be thin very well with isopropyl alcohol, but i dont know if i can masked, hi-light, shade ... with 'em ? Because i have no experience using acrylic paint (save those artist acrylic paint).
So, what do you guys recommend me to do ? Using those Testor but thin with water or using artist acrylic paint ( the brand is Daler Rowney) and thin with isopropyl alcohol ? And i still dont know why you guys thin pain with isopropyl alcohol (this take me a while to find, and costly, about 4$ / 500ml). I always use acetone to thin my paint.

Thanks you for your time, and response  :D and forgive my bad english, i try very hard to make you guys understand me.   :o   :o

March 21, 2006, 11:32:50 AM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

  • Michael Fichtenmayer
  • **********
  • Information
  • Member
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 10422
  • Karma: 17
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Alcohol will not mix well with other acrylics from what I've heard. Alcohol is pretty much only good for thinning Tamiya and works better than water for it. Tamiya's thinner is mostly alcohol with a few other unknown ingredients.

As for the Testors, I have no clue what else to thin it with. A long drying time may be a hassle, but it's better than nothing. Lacquers dry FAST... all acrylics will need a few days to cure properly.

Artist acrylics are probably not going to stick really well to your kit like a modeling acrylic will.

No problem with the language thing... we'll cut you some slack for that. Please check the stickied "Paint" thread here for more questions and help.

http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=346

March 21, 2006, 02:20:39 PM
Reply #2

Kaus

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 10
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "FichtenFoo"
Alcohol will not mix well with other acrylics from what I've heard. Alcohol is pretty much only good for thinning Tamiya and works better than water for it. Tamiya's thinner is mostly alcohol with a few other unknown ingredients.

As for the Testors, I have no clue what else to thin it with. A long drying time may be a hassle, but it's better than nothing. Lacquers dry FAST... all acrylics will need a few days to cure properly.

Artist acrylics are probably not going to stick really well to your kit like a modeling acrylic will.

No problem with the language thing... we'll cut you some slack for that. Please check the stickied "Paint" thread here for more questions and help.

http://fichtenfoo.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=346


Thank you for your time. By now i guess i stick to lacquer paint, cause using acrylic causing me so much trouble, maybe my country haven't developed a taste for Model kit ? All i can get from my Tamiya Dealer is some RC cars, RC plane, military scale model ect... and NO gundam, or anything that has a connection to gundam. And at my local hobby store, things get worse ! All of them is military model from Academy (Korea) which i hate most ! Few store has Gundam but 4/5 of them is counter-feit product from China which name is BENDI !!!!!! Its hard to find genuine Gundam from Bandai and its very expensive, no paint, no putty, no decal, no thinner...ect.... I've been using super glue to fill seam line and lacquer-based to paint in age !!!! Sigh....  :(

March 22, 2006, 06:30:35 AM
Reply #3

oteebzo

  • **
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 428
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
I have used testors acrylics paint and still use.(Getting rid of old paint) And I use water to thin it out and it works good for me.If you use the wrong thinner it will turn into clumps and you will not beable to use at all.Oh and almost forgot, I only use alittle thinned paint as I need for jobs Because it seems to go bad faster when I thin it.And by faster I mean acouple of months. ( Thats tells you how often I get to work on my models.)

March 27, 2006, 03:16:07 AM
Reply #4

Kaus

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 10
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "oteebzo"
I have used testors acrylics paint and still use.(Getting rid of old paint) And I use water to thin it out and it works good for me.If you use the wrong thinner it will turn into clumps and you will not beable to use at all.Oh and almost forgot, I only use alittle thinned paint as I need for jobs Because it seems to go bad faster when I thin it.And by faster I mean acouple of months. ( Thats tells you how often I get to work on my models.)



Uhm... i will give those testor one more try. Actually, long drying time is a pain in my @ss cause my workshop have a lot of dust, i think they will ruin my pain job. Finally i find a hobby shop have Tamiya paint and guess what, they only have 3 color ! I pick gunmetal X-10, and they have alot of Tamiya enamel though. Sign.... lets hope my Tamiya agent have some change in their mind and ship some Tamiya Acrylic.... oh god punish those greedy b@stard !!!!!!!!!!  :mad:

March 27, 2006, 08:45:25 AM
Reply #5

mrmaigo

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 228
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Kaus"
Uhm... i will give those testor one more try. Actually, long drying time is a pain in my @ss cause my workshop have a lot of dust, i think they will ruin my pain job. Finally i find a hobby shop have Tamiya paint and guess what, they only have 3 color ! I pick gunmetal X-10, and they have alot of Tamiya enamel though. Sign.... lets hope my Tamiya agent have some change in their mind and ship some Tamiya Acrylic.... oh god punish those greedy b@stard !!!!!!!!!!  :mad:


If you ask them to cary more Tamiya (or anything really), they usualy will

March 27, 2006, 04:38:39 PM
Reply #6

Kaus

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 10
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Nah, they dont ! I once asked them if i buy in large quanlity (~50 jar), can they ship them for me. They told me 50 jar is too few..... if 1 container, they will ship for me (sic) . Thats why i called them greedy !!! If thing going on like this, i must buy Tamiya paint online but www.tamiya.com tell me to contact their local agent , anyone know where i can buy Tamiya paint online ? And with a resonable price (i mean shipping fee) ?

April 29, 2007, 10:29:31 PM
Reply #7

heavyarmscustom

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 59
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
hello all !
my hobby store sells nothing but testors and model master acryl paint.
and the best thing to thin acryls with is believe it or not is original windex!!!!!
the blue stuff. you can also use windshield washer fluid(thought I know windex is the best)
the blue dye will not interfere with the paints color(i know hard to believe too)
but true!!!!
try it out and see!!
clifton
Heavyarms custom would be an unstopable killing machine if the damn thing never ran out of bullets!!!!!

April 30, 2007, 10:48:28 AM
Reply #8

ttmnky

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 67
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
I find that artist acrylics work pretty well for me. They're water based, and so are easliy thinned with just water.

I use krylon primer to prime my models first, then I use "Liquitex Basics" acrylics. For me, it works rather well, though you have to use white primer or else the paint gets really splotchy, and having to do multiple coats washes out teh details.

So, I would have to say that artist acrylics work rather well for me... anyone else have the same experience?

Link to Liquitex Basics: http://www.dickblick.com/zz007/17/


I recommend using this method, as it's comparitively a lot cheaper than Tamiya paints...
At around $7 CAD per tube, which is then thinned at a 1:1 ratio with water, it works pretty well.

April 30, 2007, 11:23:52 AM
Reply #9

lekkertakkies

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 63
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Hello Kaus

I'm not sure which country you are from, but you may want to give www.luckymodel.com a try

As an example, 10 bottles of Tamiya Acrylic Mini (10ml) costs US$14-15 excluding the shipping costs
US$8.38 to USA
US$11.33 to South Africa
US$7.88 to Austria (er, cause "Kaus" sounds like a name from that side of the Equator  :-), I mean no offence by that)

If possible, try and get the 250ml of Tamiya Acrylic thinner.
You could also try Rainbow 10

Hope this helps  :D

April 30, 2007, 08:48:29 PM
Reply #10

braxat2000

  • **
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 416
  • Karma: 4
    • View Profile
Hi Kaus,
I am painting only with acrylic paints, but am using Tamiya, model masters, Gunze and floquil. The model masters paint is a very good paint, and it can be dilluted very well with Tamiya's acrylic thinner.

I understand you can't get Tamiya's materials at all? the second choice I would try is the model masters acrylic thinner. But if you can order the Tamiya thinner, it will work without problem with model masters, and I have tried it many times.

P.S
The only acrylic paint Tamiya thinner doesn't work well with, is Vallejo, but that's because it is a different kind of paint.
Hope to help.