Author Topic: need help selecting a basic kit for practice  (Read 2921 times)

February 27, 2012, 12:31:47 PM
Read 2921 times

elenex

• Information
    • View Profile
hi there, pretty ez question. ive practiced on 2 kits so far, a HG zaku and a basic sd zaku. i bought another sd zaku (char) but it is very detailed and small and im just going to save it for when im "good". I was curious if there is a kit anyone knows of that is pretty cheap and ez to pratice on. I'm practicing sanding and masking with some spray cans. that part is going ok. the hard part is puddy.

1. is there a good tool for applying small amounts of puddy into seam lines? my first attempt was blobly and i ended up sanding more puddy off the kit then the actual seams.

2. should i stick with cheap basic sd kits to practice this stuff on? (they dont require alot of paint from the expensive spray cans) or should i pratice on HG's? any specific reccomendations?

thanks for advance, and yes if read this entire forum and others =)
3 practice kits, $235 in tools/materials, 3 months research & fundamentals

May 10, 2012, 11:11:39 PM
Reply #1

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
if you are "practicing" with no intention of doing a final paint job on the kit you are using, then I suggest any old toy from a garage sale or anywhere else. Even a bunch of scrap plastic. Don't bother paying money to keep practicing.

HG kits are great for starters and pretty cheap but your best bet is old revell kits to practice on. VERY cheap.

This site has a ton of cheap products and a lot of quality products at reasonable rates.
http://www.hobbylinc.com/Plastic_Models
Throw it Hard

May 13, 2012, 12:32:22 PM
Reply #2

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
I agree with Grail, if you are just looking to practice, then buy some cheap revell kits from your model store. If there is a plastic model builder's swap meet in your area you can go there, most of these types of gatherings will have people who are trying to unload there 1/2 built kits.

I would save your HG Gundam kits for the time when you are ready to do a complete build...
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.