Author Topic: Fichtenfoo's Hornethopter - The Red Hornet  (Read 7336 times)

November 24, 2011, 11:54:30 AM
Read 7336 times

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Here is my Hornethopter 'The Red Hornet'!

I'd just like thank Michael Fichtenmayer for coming up with such an excellent model design, I can honestly say this has been the most enjoyable model I've put together, the diorama was a bold idea trying out a few techniques that are new to me such as the clear resin for water and using gloss gel medium to create waves, and over all I'm glad I pushed myself to try something more challenging and am very happy with the results I'm over the moon with it!  :-)

And thank you to everyone who has been following and posting in the WIP, your comments made this build even more enjoyable and really helped to spur me on.

Link to the WIP: http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6402.0

Here are the pics  :-)

I'd highly recommend this model, its a clean crisp cast and a total blast to build, I'm just sad I dont have another to work on!

All comments and questions are welcome thanks for looking  :D
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

November 24, 2011, 04:13:12 PM
Reply #1

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
  :twitch::-) :D :lol: 8)That is so cool. Great Job.

November 24, 2011, 07:33:36 PM
Reply #2

the greebler elf

• Information
    • View Profile

November 24, 2011, 11:18:49 PM
Reply #3

Rawr_Bot

• Information
    • View Profile

November 25, 2011, 02:56:12 AM
Reply #4

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thank you guys, glad you like it, I appreciate the compliments :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

November 25, 2011, 04:57:07 AM
Reply #5

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Awesome man, this piece really worked out well. You've ventured into the unknown and produced some stellar stuff! Excellent!

November 26, 2011, 02:16:38 AM
Reply #6

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
This is great work. You should be very proud.  8)  8)  8)
Love the water.
Throw it Hard

November 26, 2011, 06:21:30 AM
Reply #7

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I've been loving following you wip and the end results looks fantastic. The staging is great. Dynamic and easy to understand, yet with tiny details that make it interesting to look closely at it.

November 26, 2011, 10:45:36 AM
Reply #8

Grail

• Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Site Link
I've been loving following you wip and the end results looks fantastic. The staging is great. Dynamic and easy to understand, yet with tiny details that make it interesting to look closely at it.
I also agree with Ez E and his funky monkey  :-)
Throw it Hard

November 26, 2011, 06:34:11 PM
Reply #9

ZLuca

• I can't remember..
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kallamity.com
Never did a comment on the WIP because I was waiting untill the end.
No doubts from the beginning about the final result: AWESOME.
I love the bucket with fishes and water falling down, really you did a great job on the dynamism of the whole scene.
Hornethopter is a fantastic kit and you painted very well in a very original colors.
The whole idea of the diorama was simply amazing
My only (very little) complaint and criticism is about the water. Maybe are the pics and I know it's a lake, but water it seems a little bit too dark. I'd need a little more contrast between land and water.
Anyway......great congrats!!!!
z
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 06:38:08 PM by ZLuca »

November 27, 2011, 10:05:01 AM
Reply #10

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Great Job!!! I like the work you did on the bucket, the water poring out of it looks so cool.  8)
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

November 28, 2011, 12:43:56 AM
Reply #11

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Awesome man, this piece really worked out well. You've ventured into the unknown and produced some stellar stuff! Excellent!

Thanks Shark! I am very happy with it, I must admit I keep looking at it on my shelf and thinking 'I cant believe I did that!'  :lol:

This is great work. You should be very proud.  8)  8)  8)
Love the water.

Thankyou Grail, and thanks for your input in the WIP  :-)

I appreciate the kind words Ezechiel, thanks. Thats one of the things I've picked up from looking at the many excellent dioramas on here, that although the main focus is the model, its the small details that help make it look interesting and tie it together so its not just a model on a fancy base. Now I just have to try to keep the same standard for future projects!  :D

Never did a comment on the WIP because I was waiting untill the end.
No doubts from the beginning about the final result: AWESOME.
I love the bucket with fishes and water falling down, really you did a great job on the dynamism of the whole scene.
Hornethopter is a fantastic kit and you painted very well in a very original colors.
The whole idea of the diorama was simply amazing
My only (very little) complaint and criticism is about the water. Maybe are the pics and I know it's a lake, but water it seems a little bit too dark. I'd need a little more contrast between land and water.
Anyway......great congrats!!!!
z

Hey thanks Luca, I'm a fan of your work so that means a lot. Glad you like the colour, I'm very pleased with the paint job, its nice to get a chance to be bold with colours. I know what your saying about the water, to make an excuse first :lol: the water does look darker in the photos, but it did come out a little darker than I'd wanted, but it is the first time I've done water with resin and its a lesson learned for next time. But overall I'm really happy with it. Thanks again  :-)

Great Job!!! I like the work you did on the bucket, the water poring out of it looks so cool.  8)

Thanks Clee, I took some inspiration from Fich after he linked me to his Dagobah swamp diorama and the way he did clear supports on the x wing that look like water dripping for some ideas, it turned out even better than I'd hoped.

Thanks for the compliments guys! You know its funny, of all the things with the diorama the thing I'm most pleased with is the scratchbuilt fishing rod!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:58:30 AM by Hunter Rose »

November 28, 2011, 04:09:08 PM
Reply #12

Major Williams

• Takes his time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • majorwilliams.blogspot.com
Simply amazing stuff good sir.  Paintjob is flawless, and I'll be taking cues from you for building my diorama!

You have much to be proud of! The details really show - all of the time you invested really paid off.
Check out my blog for my latest projects and tutorials - http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com

November 28, 2011, 05:17:55 PM
Reply #13

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

November 29, 2011, 05:14:17 AM
Reply #14

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Simply amazing stuff good sir.  Paintjob is flawless, and I'll be taking cues from you for building my diorama!

You have much to be proud of! The details really show - all of the time you invested really paid off.

Thanks a lot dude! I am really proud, thanks for the compliments  :-)

Fantastic job! I added it to the iMech customer gallery.
http://industriamechanika.com/blog/2011/11/imech-customer-gallery/

Thanks Mike, I'm glad I did your model justice, and WOW yeah I looked on the industria mechanika site this morning before seeing your comment and couldn't believe a picture of my model was on the main page! Thats so cool, thanks  :D

November 29, 2011, 01:13:48 PM
Reply #15

MGmodeler

• Information
    • View Profile
    • MGmodeler
Finally its done!!!
Gret job on the kit and nice work on the gel and resin.  You should be very proud!

November 30, 2011, 06:30:16 AM
Reply #16

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile

November 30, 2011, 08:06:32 AM
Reply #17

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
You did a fantastic job on this project. That's very original. The kit itself is original but the context you put it in is really cool. I liked to follow your interesting detailed WIP. Bravo thanks for sharing.

November 30, 2011, 07:27:07 PM
Reply #18

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com
Thats pure win.
There isnt anything about this I dont love.
The whole scene is put together perfectly
Congratulations

December 01, 2011, 05:21:48 AM
Reply #19

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
You did a fantastic job on this project. That's very original. The kit itself is original but the context you put it in is really cool. I liked to follow your interesting detailed WIP. Bravo thanks for sharing.

Thanks nico, glad you enjoyed the WIP appreciate the interest and comments  :-)

Thats pure win.
There isnt anything about this I dont love.
The whole scene is put together perfectly
Congratulations

Thanks for the kind words Hemish, I'm really pleased with it