Author Topic: 1/8 Seras Victoria  (Read 2381 times)

May 19, 2009, 09:57:29 PM
Read 2381 times

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
This is my first resin kit, and a lot of firsts for other things too. I've built two gundam kits in the past, but I wasn't completely satisfied with the paint job so I was hesitant on posting it on the forums. Hopefully I'll be able to get some feedback on this as I go. I hope to improve and pick up new techniques with each kit.

The full write up is on my blog:
1/8 Seras Victoria WIP 1
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:37:17 AM by crazedpanda »

May 20, 2009, 09:46:19 AM
Reply #1

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
Very good so far.

The only thing that I'd like to mention is the shading on the flesh. It seems to be a little too bold and whatnot.

I've also been doing cobblestone for my Alucard and Alexander Anderson builds and your looks great. It's much better than my end result.

What color are you going to paint her uniform? Anime blue or OVA yellow?

May 20, 2009, 12:30:11 PM
Reply #2

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
The shading looks harsher in the picture than in person. I might do another coat of flesh tone to blend it together though.

I've been watching your figure builds and noticed that you were also using the same type of base (square with some plaster on top). I really wanted the end result to look good so I spent about an hour already on the plaster getting all the grooves and stuff.

What color are you going to paint her uniform? Anime blue or OVA yellow?

I'm definitely going with the OVA colors. Yellow uniform, white stockings, and brown gloves. I didn't really care much for the anime after reading the manga. The OVA does a much better job following the story so I'm partial to the manga/OVA color scheme  :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:30:54 PM by crazedpanda »

May 20, 2009, 11:34:36 PM
Reply #3

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
There were certain things I liked about the anime better, but the OVA was the best overall. I liked how the anime expanded on the Valentine Brothers story. I also liked that Seras Victoria was less childish.

I spent about an hour and a half working on my base after the plaster cured. I was going for a natural stone look which I now realize strays from the traditional European street look. I'm doing Alucard's base right now, so I'll probably make it look closer to what you did. I just didn't make mine as deep on either base. I didn't have anything to hold the plaster in place so I mixed it slightly thick and spread it onto the base as evenly as possible. Once cured, I buffed out the high spots with 375 grit sandpaper. From there, I was able to pencil in the stones. After that, it was chisel and wire brush madness!

I like that you're going with the yellow for this. I've only seen one of these completed and it has a red outfit. I can't figure out where she had a red outfit.

May 21, 2009, 09:19:13 AM
Reply #4

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile
The red was not from either the OVA/manga or the anime. The original PVC figure came in red and I'm really not sure why they didn't go with the blue from the anime or the yellow from the manga.

I think it's easier to get a better result with a thicker layer of plaster to work with. In order to get a thicker layer I built the cardboard box around the base. It wasn't that accurate - I basically cut the cardboard to about the right length and just taped it together using regular scotch tape. Then I just poured in the plaster and let it dry. I took the cardboard off after about an hour since I didn't want the plaster sticking to the cardboard. It turns out the plaster didn't stick to the base either so I had to use a few drops of superglue to secure it.

I ended up spraying another coat of the flesh tone to lighten up the shading and make it a little more subtle.

May 26, 2009, 02:39:23 PM
Reply #5

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile

May 27, 2009, 08:09:22 PM
Reply #6

crazedpanda

• Information
    • View Profile