Author Topic: What's your holy grail  (Read 13730 times)

May 06, 2009, 08:48:24 AM
Read 13730 times

attatt

• Information
    • View Profile
I have been lurking here for about a year and am extremely curious to find out how everyone would answer this question.

What is the one thing you would love to build, but haven't because you don't think you can pull it off? 

This could be because there is just too much detail to handle, requires a finish you dont know how to do (yet) , you want to do it in a scale that you can't handle or afford so far, etc...

Example:  I have done several landscapes that I wanted to put actual running water in, but I havent tried to tackle it yet.  I have the hardware (which you can get in amazingly small size), but I just havent gone for it.

May 07, 2009, 10:35:23 AM
Reply #1

Lycantivis

• USER HAS BEEN BANNED
  • Information
    • View Profile
Well my grail kits arn't that Im afraid i couldn't do justice to...its mostly that I don't want to put down 2 grand down on a kit...

My grail is the 1/35 EX-s....short behind it is the 1/48 bang doll..
USER HAS BEEN BANNED

May 07, 2009, 10:42:32 AM
Reply #2

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
My grail kits are all of my G-System kits including my 1/35 EX-s and 1/35 Stamen.  Someday I will have room to put these guys.
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

May 07, 2009, 01:21:26 PM
Reply #3

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Speaking of Holy Grail kits, how about this bunch of the IMAI 80's -era 1/72 Macross kits (Zentraedi Regult and Glaug, Tomahawk, Defender) and the Monster? I have nothing to do with these auctions, but I've been watching them...

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/rare-planedetective_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

May 07, 2009, 03:02:04 PM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I always wanted to scratch-build a large Salamis retrofitted with a mobile suit deck. Probably 1/350 or so in line with the GC figs. Then make the catapult "work"... move the MS forward and back and also make the elevator work. It'd be a HUGE ship though.

And one day I'll build the HGUC Dendrobium sitting in my basement.

May 07, 2009, 03:40:02 PM
Reply #5

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
I always wanted to Scratchbuild and Superdetail a 1/72 scale Musai 2 (from gundam 0083) mobile suilt hangar bay with 4 Zeon mobile suits... It would be a cool project...  ^_^
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

May 07, 2009, 03:41:33 PM
Reply #6

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
1/72!? Talk about a ginormous buld... would need a whole room for just that.

May 08, 2009, 12:25:37 PM
Reply #7

Sticky Fingers

• Frankensteiner
  • Information
  • Stickier than thou
    • View Profile
I have Tamiya's big scale six wheeler Tyrell P-34. I have postponed building it for so long for fear of failure that I've decided to sell it.
No, really.
Among my stash of kit's it's like the proverbial weird uncle that no-one ever mentions.
"Hang on a minute, lads, I've got a great idea!"

May 08, 2009, 02:34:04 PM
Reply #8

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
1/72!? Talk about a ginormous buld... would need a whole room for just that.

Yeah, I have dream about doing a project of that scale ever since I was in college. But chickened out because of the amount of work involved.

May 08, 2009, 02:42:06 PM
Reply #9

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
0083 has my favorite mecha designs. I like every suit from that series... literally everyone of them. So I'd have to say the HG Denrdo, G-system's entire 1/48 line (gp01, gp02, gp03, gp04)
and 1/72 gerbera tetra plus & regular. Maybe I'll win the lotto, otherwise its just wishfull thinking.

I' have warmed up to the thought of scratchbuilding a 1/100 orchis similar to the GP04 GFF weapon system.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

May 09, 2009, 08:13:20 PM
Reply #10

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
My current grail is a HGUC Dendrobium, mainly because of the cost and size.  Previously it was MG Hi-Nu, because it was sold out everywhere for the longest time, and when it wasn't I didn't have money for it....  Then, the last time I HAD money for it and Hobbywave had it in stock, they called me a week after I placed the order and said it had been sold out, and they wouldn't get any more for a month.  Now that I finally have it, I have so much other stuff that it's gonna be a while before I work on it.  Good times.

May 10, 2009, 01:14:01 AM
Reply #11

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
0083 has my favorite mecha designs.

Gundam 0083 is a great UC series, it's to bad it was so short. It really inspired me to pickup Gundam Modeling again, my favorite MS from the show is the Zaku II F2 it's a oldie but goodie. I really do love the scene in the Musai hanger deck before Anavel Gato attacked the EFSF with Unit 2.

May 10, 2009, 10:26:24 AM
Reply #12

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
This is my grail:

http://www.e2046.com/product_info.php?products_id=1541

Once Botcon is over and my funds are better, I'm going to place my preorder. The original kit is so freakin rare that the recast is pretty much my only option.

My other grail is the 1/8 Alucard by Wave. I may actually be getting one soon.

May 10, 2009, 09:21:14 PM
Reply #13

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
0083 has my favorite mecha designs.

Gundam 0083 is a great UC series, it's to bad it was so short. It really inspired me to pickup Gundam Modeling again, my favorite MS from the show is the Zaku II F2 it's a oldie but goodie. I really do love the scene in the Musai hanger deck before Anavel Gato attacked the EFSF with Unit 2.

The Flashback? Thats probably the most powerful scene in the show & that battle was fast paced. Gets your heart racing. I love the animation style too, very Kawajiri-esque. Gato's voice actor is a favorite of mine, Otsuka Akio. He does Captain, Kyōraku Shunsui (pink kimono and straw hat) from Bleach as well as Rai Dei the Blade in Trigun and Batou from all of GITS.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

May 12, 2009, 10:26:15 PM
Reply #14

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
Hey, how's it going?

May 13, 2009, 09:02:03 PM
Reply #15

CasusLuciferi

• Information
    • View Profile
Probably the PG Astray Red Frame, as aside from looking amazing, it is discontinued  :rip:, Someday I will find one though and it will be epic

May 14, 2009, 06:33:10 AM
Reply #16

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Discontinued just means they've sold out of the first production run. Don't worry, they'll be back. Bandai re-releases everything in time and the quicker they sold out, the quicker they'll probably do another run of them.
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

May 14, 2009, 06:36:40 AM
Reply #17

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
I agree with Funaka, the first run had a bunch of extra parts that wont be available with the future production runs of the kit.

May 16, 2009, 10:42:20 PM
Reply #18

CasusLuciferi

• Information
    • View Profile
oh thats awesome then! that makes me very happy!!

May 17, 2009, 10:30:32 AM
Reply #19

Zircor

• Information
    • View Profile
My current grail is a HGUC Dendrobium, mainly because of the cost and size.  Previously it was MG Hi-Nu, because it was sold out everywhere for the longest time, and when it wasn't I didn't have money for it....  Then, the last time I HAD money for it and Hobbywave had it in stock, they called me a week after I placed the order and said it had been sold out, and they wouldn't get any more for a month.  Now that I finally have it, I have so much other stuff that it's gonna be a while before I work on it.  Good times.

I think I've changed my mind about this.  The dendro should be easy to get, now that I've had some time to think about it.  My grails have changed to magazine freebies.  Namely, the Hrududu, the MG GM Quel Hazel conversion, 1/144 Astraea, and GN Sefer/Rasiel.  I haven't even SEEN hrududus for sell since I got interested in AoZ over a year ago, I saw the Quel set once on ebay and got sniped on the auction, and I won't even go into the trouble I've had with the other three so far.