Author Topic: Modeling Style Preference  (Read 15780 times)

March 05, 2005, 08:59:58 AM
Read 15780 times

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I was thinking about this a lot lately. It seems that different people have different things that they prefer when modeling. Some like to build OOB with custom paint and decals (me), some like modding the hell out of something to be anime/lineart accurate, others prefer mobility/posability mods...

I'm curious as to what people like, so please fill out the poll and perhaps describe what you like to do and why. And what you don't like to do and why.

This only applies to how you like to model... not what models you like to see other people do.

Me: being a graphic designer and artist, I really like using the kits as a canvas for various ideas. So I prefer creating custom paint and decal schemes. I don't like sanding much at all, so scratchbuilding is just not fun for me. I only do it as a necessity to get something I need to achieve a look. Such as the backpack for the Cloud 09. I'd rather paint and decal.

I also like adding little extra details as well, but not to the extent that erix does.

March 05, 2005, 09:05:05 AM
Reply #1

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
Well, I put other, since I'm much more into the scratchbuilding/heavily customizing of my kits - wait, what kits?  I haven't actually made a complete model - ever!  MUAHAHAHA!!!  But, yeah, I guess since I love my job (mechanical designer), I more like the physical, three dimensional aspects of the kit, and I want to add my own style/flair to it.  So I try to make it look like it is in my mind's eye - sometimes hard to do, but I give it a shot...

March 05, 2005, 09:15:35 AM
Reply #2

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
For some reason I can't sit down and do an OOB.  I always want to mod something.  First it would start small, but quickly got out of hand.  Combined with the fact that I'm not that good and modding and not the quickest with my hands, I have a slew of models at various stages of imcompletion.

Hey, if I'm as good as FF maybe I'll enjoy the painting part more.  Now it always involves some sort of damage control.  :lol:

March 05, 2005, 11:48:00 AM
Reply #3

Turbo-Squid

• Information
    • View Profile
Definently heavy mods and customizing.  I just can't help putting a hole through something! :lol:
HOCOLATE!!!
                  -Carrie

March 05, 2005, 01:17:16 PM
Reply #4

Gr8one

• Information
  • I just might have something to show you?
    • View Profile
OOB for me I need to learn how to paint and decal first. I think I will do 10 or 12 OOB kits then try my hand at mods.
The Great ONES!!! SAUL ALVAREZ and Dan Cope

March 05, 2005, 02:49:10 PM
Reply #5

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
I said "structural work for accuracy" - but really, that's not exactly it.  Sometimes that's the case (like when a kit just flat-out gets major elements of a design completely wrong - like the HGUC GM Command) but I'd say I'm more compelled to work against model parts that, to me, look cheap, oversimplified, etc.  Some of these parts are the way they are because it simplified production (like the oversized arms on many HGUCs) and others are the way they are because it gives the kit more toy value (like the whole polycap system, really, which in many places is perfectly OK but in some places winds up looking really bad.)

I guess another aspect to all this, apart from corrective work is that sometimes, another 5 hours of work or so on a given area of a kit can make a lot of difference.  That's exciting.  I guess that's what a lot of it boils down to, is that sometimes I look at the kit and see the structural possibilities, and that's a lot of fun.  It's fun to see my work make the model fundamentally better than it was.  A little work can yield a big payoff.

I'm definitely more experienced in structural work than in painting work...  That's sort of frustrating sometimes, because I can't fully realize the models' potential.  I need to balance out a bit.
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

March 05, 2005, 03:04:27 PM
Reply #6

bad andy

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://mechamaniac.com
I couldn't quite pick one. For me, mobility mods (not all the time necessarily) and custom paint/decals does it.... that's hot ;)

I enjoy attempting to make the subject have a more human look, capable of at least a semi-dynamic pose. I also can not paint a standard OOB color scheme. I just have to add a little of me to it and end up with some crazy paint idea usually. Further that with some last minute custom decal ideas... and that's my general workflow.

Do it

March 05, 2005, 07:34:08 PM
Reply #7

Tazman3

• Information
    • View Profile
I guess this poll didn't fit me exactly...but I voted to modify to be historically accurate, but that wouldn't apply to gundams! :lol: That would OOB for me!

As far as military stuff goes, I will always search for resin updates, custom decals, etc.  Usually if there is one available, I'll get it because it makes it "more accurate"..hence, my vote.

This is a really good poll...I really like the direction this board is going.  Let's all work to keep it steered in the right direction.  Sometimes it is just as much the job of them members, as it is the administrators.  So take pride in what you post.  Sorry...got a little off topic there. :oops:

Later,
:taz:
Insta: @poppahuffplaysgames
FB: Johnny Huff

March 07, 2005, 09:59:06 AM
Reply #8

fugu

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm relatively new to modeling and I have a "I want to be mech pilot dammit!" complex so I voted for Mods. Being unable to paint well I think I'll stick to practicing mods for now and digging out weird decals for recycling to my mods when I paint them. For the moment my mod "philosopy" would be faster with better firepower and lop off armor if I have to.
..hmm, I'm supposed to type something witty here...

March 07, 2005, 10:57:00 AM
Reply #9

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Information
  • Char!
    • View Profile
I voted for 1, "OOB with custom paint and decals".  Granted, there may be some slight cosmetic modding, but for the most part I think I approach work much in the same way you do, FF.  This probably has a little something to do with being a graphic designer myself.

I say this too often, but if I could just get some time to work on a kit, you might be able to see what my work actually looks like nowadays. :meh:

March 09, 2005, 07:54:28 AM
Reply #10

keenix

• Information
  • FFF Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.keenix.com
I picked #1 OOB with custom paint & decals, but I also enjoy doing light mods to my kits. Mostly they are cosmetic mods, sometimes mobility mods, but nothing ever to drastic. Though I get most of my enjoyment from the painting process of building kits.

March 09, 2005, 05:29:16 PM
Reply #11

Bannock Cullen

• Information
    • View Profile
I chose "modifying to be anime/historically accurate" because the whole reason that I was attracted to mecha modeling is so I could have 3-D renditions of my favorite machines from the animes (the same mentality that led to my army of Transformer toys).  I do, however,  like the heavy mods and the custom paint schemes very much, but having an anime-accurate kit usually seems to be the top priority.
n my time, nightmares walked among us, walked and danced, skewering victims in plain sight, laying their fears and worst desires out for everyone to see. This...to make us laugh.

-Illyria

March 09, 2005, 07:11:19 PM
Reply #12

wildrogue

• Information
    • View Profile
I picked OOB, making custom paint schemes is fun and usually isn't as hard as making structeral mods.
--->I'm Mark, The Official FFF Dumb Ass 8)

NO WAI

March 10, 2005, 12:26:50 PM
Reply #13

Mrex-sgundam

• OPE
  • Information
  • Wow, time flies.
    • View Profile
I chose OOB and coustom decals since I'm still learning and everything. I might move in to modifying as I progress.
Hey, how's it going?

March 10, 2005, 05:37:35 PM
Reply #14

Ghost_Tech

• Information
    • View Profile
I picked OOB
when I started I hand painted all my models and now thanks to the internet i'm trying to master the airbrush.
someday when I get a digitial camra i'll post my work  :D

March 14, 2005, 05:24:27 PM
Reply #15

qc

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://qcfoundry.tripod.com
Great question!
Something I think of often.  Some modelers can be highly talented (Max W) but I just don't get thrilled by their work.

My philosophy:  
Anime (in the japanese use) is produced by the cheapest means available.  Watch a lot of anime and you'll notice alot of it is a still painting with a dynamic camera movement across it to induce a sense of motion.  Most often very few "items" (eyes, mouth, arm) will move on an animated individual.  With this practice, you'll very unlikely to see a lot of detail on the mecha themselves unless there's a true close up of a character and see the mecha behind them.  Hence when a model is produced it represents the anime correctly, and lacks details.

I try to practice the concept of how the mecha would exist if were real...in this world.  
The three biggest things:
-Panel lines.  All mechanics are made of pieces.  Yet if you look at the kits you'de have huge concave, oddly shaped pieces of metal the size of a bus, and often in mass-produced mecha.  This wouldn't likely happen.
-Details.  little things here and there.  Look at any plane, a fire engine, a large earth mover.  There are little handels, knobs, fins almost everywhere.  Most of the time (unless you're intimately familiar with the equipment) you don't know what ev'thing is, but it looks appropriate for the vehicle.  
-Weathering.  This DOES get practiced.  And some to good use.  But ...imo, nothing is ever new.  At least for mecha.  No war machine would be colored red, blue, yellow and shine.  lol.  that's just me.  

I personally like looking over the tanks and warplanes at model contests.  The only thing that bothers me about that genre...is they are tied to set rules.  They aim to make their model look exactly like something else (in real life).  Little imagination exists in that practice.  I try to take the pragmatic vision they incorporate and shine that one the open field of mecha.

I'll get off my soap box.  Even though I prefer a certain look, doesn't mean I can't clearly see talent and call it out.  If somebody has skills but a different style, I'll tell them how good their work is.

**inhales**

March 15, 2005, 02:52:14 PM
Reply #16

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Thanks for all the replies guys. I like how this thread has gone and it's great to see how everyone approaches their kits.

Keep 'em coming! :D

March 21, 2005, 10:00:46 PM
Reply #17

U-recca

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • http://www.plamowarriordx.com
I voted OOB with custom paint and decals. I certainly wish I had just a bit more time to do some mobility mods though.  I tend to scratchbuild only what I need to complete a look or a particular accessory. There does seem to be a challenge with having the barebones kit and attempting to see what kind of colors and decals would fit a particular mecha.

As irony would have it, the further I get my modeling skills to progress, I'm not sure if it takes me a longer time to complete a kit or a shorter time. hmmm.... :?  :wink:
http://www.plamowarriordx.com

/!\ Caution: Overuse of these timely and informative news updates can lead to excessive expenditures on hobby products. Use with care to avoid potential financial and/or marital distress!

-Model Graphix

May 02, 2005, 06:11:25 AM
Reply #18

WhiteBase

• Information
    • View Profile
I chose mobility mods.. though actually what I really do is to snap em up as toys :lol: (judging by the amount of snapped fit unfinished models I have lying under my bed.)

When I first started out doing models, my style was more towards making the detailing on the kit line art accurate. Well this was a neccessity back then when kits weren't made with as much details/accuracy as the new HGUC line up.

Nowadays, I tend to add mobility to my kits, because: -
A. I am fickle minded and can never decide on a pose
B. I'm pretty bad at designing custom colours or decals so having a bad ass pose is the only other means I know of that can attract attention.

A new thing I'm trying out on my current kit is to alter proportions by beefing up certain areas and slimming down others. I must say that I'm enjoying this quite a lot, and it may one day become more important to me than mobility mods. :)

August 06, 2005, 01:49:06 PM
Reply #19

Anchang

• Mohawk-Bot
  • Information
  • Keep away from children
    • View Profile
I voted and chose OOB with custom paint becuase with my limited resourses and talent I feel its easier to just work on the painting of the custom kits.  I also like clean kits that look like they should be in the anime them selves.  Yes I think that some mods are required but I like it when the model still looks like the original mobile suit/or any other model for that matter.  But that is just my opinion.
Also Known as Havok
Colbert      2008