Author Topic: Scratch build : Iron Sky Valkyrie  (Read 10749 times)

October 25, 2013, 11:59:42 AM
Read 10749 times

Alb

• Information
    • View Profile
    • ALB-LAB
Hi everybody !

During the summer holidays I started a new scratch built project: the Valkyrie flying disk from the Iron Sky movie.
This is the original design I saw a long time before the movie.

And here you cans see some other pictures I used for reference:

As you can see there are various differences in the designs in these images, so I have had to give my own interpretation.
It was difficult to work out the size of the real beast and I guessed it should have a diameter of about 60 meters.  With a 1:350 scale we have a diameter of about 185mm for the model.

For this model I decided to use polystyrene sheets for the main body. Since I have a CNC router I cut the sheets with it.
I made a fast 3D sketch:

From the 3D sketch I derived the outline that I cut on the sheets :

Then I started to build tha skeleton and the main body of the flying disk:

Some boring sanding after applying the putty on the seams.

Finally, some more interesting shape and the housing of the main thruster.

That's all for now. Obviously, as usual for me, it will take a long time to be finished.  :(

I hope you like the subject!

Oh, one last thing:  this model will not be a kit.  ;)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:20:30 AM by Alb »
Ciao,
Alb

October 26, 2013, 02:09:25 AM
Reply #1

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Awesome, I love most of the Iron Sky designs and this looks like a good crisp rendition. Can you get a VW Beetle staff car in 1/350 though??

Will

October 26, 2013, 11:33:05 AM
Reply #2

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Nice work! Not familiar with the movie but I'll be following with interest
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 28, 2013, 12:36:46 PM
Reply #3

Alb

• Information
    • View Profile
    • ALB-LAB
Awesome, I love most of the Iron Sky designs and this looks like a good crisp rendition. Can you get a VW Beetle staff car in 1/350 though??

Thanks Will !
 Uhm... a VW Beetle would be about 11mm. It seems not all that small !  :-)  Nice idea !

Nice work! Not familiar with the movie but I'll be following with interest

Thank you too !  I'm not sure if the movie has been distributed in the USA. However it's a nice movie based on a parody of the nazism.
Ciao,
Alb

October 28, 2013, 02:47:55 PM
Reply #4

Hendudiku

• Information
    • View Profile

....For this model I decided to use polystyrene sheets for the main body. Since I have a CNC router I cut the sheets with it.......

Awesome start. Loved the movie, so I can;t wait to see your interpretation of the ship.

What kind of cnc router/cnc software are you using? Is it hobbyist (table top/diy) or industrial? Seems like a great workflow...

October 29, 2013, 01:53:04 PM
Reply #5

decoy

• Information
    • View Profile
will be very interesting to follow up

October 29, 2013, 05:21:09 PM
Reply #6

joewhite

• Information
    • View Profile
This is an absolutely amazing project to me! I'm not familiar with the movie but I will be! As for the drawing, I've been teaching myself 3D modeling and am practicing on different projects. I'm interested in hearing about your CNC router! Homemade? If so, please share some details! I rely on the local laser cutting services at the moment and would like to own my own router one day to bring my designs to life on my own schedule. Looking forward to more updates!

Joe

November 05, 2013, 02:05:09 PM
Reply #7

Alb

• Information
    • View Profile
    • ALB-LAB
 Thank you guys!
 I used a self built 4 axis CNC router. You can see a photo here: http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=5507.msg69906#msg69906.  I designed the CNC router and I had all the parts made by a professional workshop. A couple years later I made the fourth rotary axis with the CNC router itself.

As you can see in the T-Zero thread I usually follow a totally different workflow. With the Valkyrie I wanted to try a more traditional one. I don't know yet if I'll continue to follow this aproach or if I'll revert to the previous one. We will see.  :-)

I finished other project with my CNC in the last few years:
 1:35 SPKW-09 DACHS
 1:35 T-Zero antigravity racer
 1:35 Markov antigravity racer
 LightCycle
 Iguana starship

As you can see the 3D models of some of the other models are more refined.
Ciao,
Alb

November 08, 2013, 08:55:47 AM
Reply #8

joewhite

• Information
    • View Profile
Dammit! Here I thought I was gonna see a simple wooden machine that maybe cost a couple of hundred bucks to build! LOL! How naive of me! That bad boy looks serious! And it spawned a second router? Wow! That machine there is inspirational yet intimidating. But, I really need to stop being lazy and design something within my price range. Or better yet, is your router like a Mogwai or something? Maybe throw some water on it so it can spawn some more CNC routers? LOL!

As for the build, I took a look at the movie trailer. My wife thinks I'm nuts but that movie looks really cool. As for your other builds, simply stunning!

Joe

November 12, 2013, 04:35:56 AM
Reply #9

Alb

• Information
    • View Profile
    • ALB-LAB
Yes Joe, a lot of people feels like you when I let them see my CNC router.  Obviously it's not an industrial grade CNC router, but it's done with some high precision components and it's perfect for making model parts. The only drawback is that it needs a lot of work to be used. But that's part of the fun.  ^_^
Aehm... if I try to throw some water on it, the only thing it can spawn is ... rust !  :D
Ciao,
Alb

November 25, 2013, 12:02:52 PM
Reply #10

The Inner Geek

• Information
    • View Profile
    • The Inner Geek
This is going to be awesome!

The movie is great too. I love the humor in it. You can buy it on dvd/blu-ray in the US and it may still be on Netflix instant watch.

December 02, 2013, 01:37:19 PM
Reply #11

Alb

• Information
    • View Profile
    • ALB-LAB
Hi everybody!  Here I am with a little progress on the Valkyrie.
In the last 10 days I've been able to spend a little time (stolen here and there) to the shape of the lower dome.
As you can see in the photos, this time I made eveything by hands. I wanted to make a hollow piece. Maybe I didn't use the fastest technique, but it didn't took much time.
I glued all the 24 pieces together (I used a 0.5mm plasticard), then I roughed out the steps with a cutter. Finally I applyied Tamiya putty and sanded down to a smooth surface.
To finish the part I have to add some panel lines, a few details and a texture from fusion mold.
I'm quite satisfied so I think I'll make the upper turret with the same technique.
I hope to be back soon with new photos.

This is going to be awesome!

Thank you.  :-)
Ciao,
Alb

December 04, 2013, 04:34:19 PM
Reply #12

Dave Diaz

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi Alb,

I love scratchbuilding and your project seems very exciting. I remember seen some artwork on Concept Ships and thinking that one of those saucers will be a very cool model.

I will be following with interest. Keep up the great work!

dave

December 07, 2013, 04:12:38 AM
Reply #13

Alb

• Information
    • View Profile
    • ALB-LAB
 Hi Dave, thank you!
 Concept Ships is the same source where I saw the design sketch for the first time, a couple of years before the movie was produced.
 I loved the design at first sight and I saved the image in the "to do one day" folder.  :-)

Now I'm working on the upper turret. I hope to finish the main circular shape within the next week. Then I'll add the front armor-plate and the left side bulge and all the other details.  Quite a lot of fun work !  ^_^

Next photos within a couple weeks, I hope. :embarrased:
Ciao,
Alb

January 02, 2014, 04:21:41 AM
Reply #14

Alb

• Information
    • View Profile
    • ALB-LAB
Hi guys and happy new year !  :D

New year, new WIP photos.  ^_^
In the following photos you can see : main shapes of the turret (I used again the laminating technique), of the ball turret, the finishing ring of the lower dome.
As reference, the background grid have a 1cm step. The ball turret diameter is 19mm.

BTW, a couple days ago I've seen the director's cut version of the movie and I'm starting to think that I made a huge mistake in the evaluation of the size of this flying disc.  :embarrased:
More on this soon.

Ciao,
Alb