Author Topic: 1/24 flying car thingy  (Read 3925 times)

September 13, 2013, 11:27:45 AM
Read 3925 times

Beork

• Information
    • View Profile
I didn't feel like painting , nor did I want to finish one of the other long-term projects.
So I decided to follow Marcel du Long's (http://www.marceldulong.com/c10.html) footsteps and build something quick and easy from a small scale battleship kit.
I figured such a build would be good for the building stamina. Start it, finish it, no hassle.

Sadly, this also meant it was quickly built, so little WIP pictures.

I used a vintage (and apparently very expensive) Aurora 1/600 enterprise kit, turned upside down for the hull. With a 1/32 p38 cockpit for the, well, cockpit.

Then I filled up the hull with (mostl) a 1/87 revell BigBoy locomotive, all holes that were left were filled with leftovers from this locomotive and some random stuff from the bitsbox.
I think there's 1/84 jeep parts in there, 1/24 and 1/20 engine parts, 1/35 calliope rockets and 1/32 stuka cockpit details.

Basically just needs some antennas on the lowerside, some cockpit parts and a pilot of course.
Someone suggested it looks like a vanship, but I don't think I can add the weird propulsion system those things have.

Name ideas? anyone?

September 13, 2013, 11:54:08 PM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cool build! Love all the engine detail on the underside.

Names? Maybe something like The Blade or Pinocchio!  :lol:
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

September 14, 2013, 04:26:27 AM
Reply #2

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
I'll agree with the people that say it looks like a vanship. I like what you've done!

September 16, 2013, 10:40:49 PM
Reply #3

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
That's really nice, particularly the fit of the boiler into the base! The only thing that doesn't work for me is the calliope launcher, it feels a bit out of place.

Have you considered mounting either Aerosan-style skis to the front "feet", and/or possibly some downward angled fins blended into the bodywork?

Will

September 30, 2013, 02:12:47 AM
Reply #4

Beork

• Information
    • View Profile
thanks guys

Will, I actually like the fins as they are, offsets the shape a bit, the calliope launcher is on there for the same reason.
I that some fledermaus skids I tried on, but didn't like the look, so now it has recessed rounded skids, they don't really stand out, but that was the idea.

In the meantime, this thing got a bit of colour and some gold to make it look like something royalty would drive. colour idea comes from the last exile model expo from a while back. Some of the weirder vehicles were (dark) red with gold decals. Lacking those decals I opted for simple DIY card stickers.

just 2 more layers of gloss coat and I can start detailing and weathering, if I feel like it that is ^_^

September 30, 2013, 04:25:45 AM
Reply #5

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Like the gold decals, they give it a real vintage look on the bright red
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

September 30, 2013, 06:23:18 PM
Reply #6

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
Those gold sticker good great. They seam to add a nice three dimensional effect too.

September 30, 2013, 09:18:19 PM
Reply #7

Beork

• Information
    • View Profile
Yeah, the stickers are also 0.5 mm thick, so they add dimension. Very cool stuff if you like that sorta thing.
And they can take white spirit, so oil weathering is possible.
Just need to make sure they'll stick on forever, so couple of layers of clear coat before anything else.

October 01, 2013, 10:52:07 AM
Reply #8

decoy

• Information
    • View Profile
Red cover looks good - it is glamor looking, are you planning damage? ;)