Author Topic: 1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer - Kitbash  (Read 40653 times)

September 17, 2012, 06:01:13 AM
Reply #100

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
I just love this thread. Not only becouse I love this build.
I can also learn a lot from You. Thanks!

September 19, 2012, 11:02:13 AM
Reply #101

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I just love this thread. Not only becouse I love this build.
I can also learn a lot from You. Thanks!

Hey thanks Jiloo! Glad to know I'm helping out a fellow modeller  :-)

Okay been doing some more work on my combat racer.

I gave my metallics a black enamel wash, which was just humbrol matte black enamel paint in some white spirit.

Then just dry brushed a little silver on in places, and used a combo of a little black and graveyard dirt pigment powder on the jet outtakes, kept it pretty light didn't want to overdo it.

Seriously pleased with how that came out, it's just how I wanted it, and makes me really look forward to doing the jet engines!

I also primed a couple of other pieces that need doing, like the engine cover I made, and the rear turret pieces as well as the front guns.

Thanks for looking guys, appreciate the interest  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

September 19, 2012, 03:03:47 PM
Reply #102

thejurasikfrank

• Information
    • View Profile
I really like it hunter. Any electronics coming up ?
cheers
What a piece of junk!

September 19, 2012, 05:48:27 PM
Reply #103

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
Haven't been on for awhile, This thing is just so cool!

September 19, 2012, 11:39:09 PM
Reply #104

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
I really like it hunter. Any electronics coming up ?
cheers

Thanks Frank! That was the original plan, but I'm pretty new to kitbashing and scratchbuilding, so it was enough of a challenge without thinking about lighting, and in the end I decided I'd rather keep the frustration levels as low as possible so it doesn't end up gathering dust on a shelf and being sworn at!

I am however going to light my next model, got a vinyl Tsukuda Hobby ABC Warrior that needs sorting and I'm going to give him red led eyes. Thats once I've finished my Crow build which hasn't had any work done on it in a while  :sarcasm: Oh well its good to have things in the pipeline!

Haven't been on for awhile, This thing is just so cool!

Cheers John, glad you're liking it  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

September 20, 2012, 08:58:41 AM
Reply #105

thejurasikfrank

• Information
    • View Profile
Right on hunter,
Keeping it simple seems like the wise choice.
I keep telling my wife (and myself) that my next model will be a finemolds assemble and paint project. She doesn't beleive me; she says I love misery too much   :D  It's true that I love the satisfaction of having taken a junker of a kit and improved it by adding here and modifying there, and sanding, priming, sanding again, swear, scREAAAAM  :twitch:  ...there's something about those MPC/AMT/ERTL models that makes me happy in a disturbing way :sick:
Cheers !
What a piece of junk!

September 23, 2012, 12:27:27 PM
Reply #106

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Right on hunter,
Keeping it simple seems like the wise choice.
I keep telling my wife (and myself) that my next model will be a finemolds assemble and paint project. She doesn't beleive me; she says I love misery too much   :D  It's true that I love the satisfaction of having taken a junker of a kit and improved it by adding here and modifying there, and sanding, priming, sanding again, swear, scREAAAAM  :twitch:  ...there's something about those MPC/AMT/ERTL models that makes me happy in a disturbing way :sick:
Cheers !

I totally agree its a sadistic pleasure I think! :lol: Its definitely satisfying to put your self in the middle of a styrene s*** storm and come out the other side with a great model for the shelf!  :-)

September 25, 2012, 10:30:36 AM
Reply #107

struschie

• Strahl Demokratische Republik
  • Information
    • View Profile
Whow - you've been busy since my last visit here - cool!
Right now I cannot imagine the whole setup with th eengines . Doesn't it look too naked behind the streamlined front? My kack of imagination
i think :/
Coming together nicely - cool paint till now :)

September 25, 2012, 11:53:15 AM
Reply #108

ultramini

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Ultramini!
You're doing a really great work, with a lot of nice touches...
Make Everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Galleries and WIP on Flickr!
My Blog (in italian)

September 25, 2012, 11:13:04 PM
Reply #109

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Whow - you've been busy since my last visit here - cool!
Right now I cannot imagine the whole setup with th eengines . Doesn't it look too naked behind the streamlined front? My kack of imagination
i think :/
Coming together nicely - cool paint till now :)

Thanks struschie! I do want a contrast between front and back, but trust me once its all together with engine cover turret and pipes with the jets and side fins in place it will all come together! (I hope! :D )

You're doing a really great work, with a lot of nice touches...

Thanks ultramini! I think the same about your zaku build, enjoying watching the progress on it  :-)

I will be doing some work on this later, I've just been waiting for some supplies to arrive that I didn't realise were so low, so I haven't had an update recently, but should be one tonight.

Thanks for the interest guys!

September 30, 2012, 03:48:09 AM
Reply #110

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
If you do find the contrast is too high between front and back, you could add some curved styrene fairings raised above the surface of the engines, so you still have your nurnie pits but there's more continuity with the bodywork. I suspect that with the wings/fins it's not going to be an issue though since they should provide the same continuity.

Also is it just me or does the bottom view look like a Cybermat from Dr. Who?

September 30, 2012, 11:50:16 AM
Reply #111

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
If you do find the contrast is too high between front and back, you could add some curved styrene fairings raised above the surface of the engines, so you still have your nurnie pits but there's more continuity with the bodywork. I suspect that with the wings/fins it's not going to be an issue though since they should provide the same continuity.

Also is it just me or does the bottom view look like a Cybermat from Dr. Who?

I keep thinking it looks like a sort of steampunk manta ray! Thank for the fairing tip, even if it is fine, you've got me thinking Will! In fact the original plan was to get some dot mesh and curve it to the same curve of the engine and have it sitting slightly off as like a sort of heat sink, but I couldn't find any.

Progress has been slow at the minute, sick baby followed by sick girlfriend, and we're moving house and I've just had to help my brother with his move! Man it never rains but it pours!!

Realisitically I'm not going to back in the shed till wednesday, but there will be more as soon as possible!

October 08, 2012, 01:57:44 AM
Reply #112

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Well after what feels like an absolute age, the house move went fine everythings sorted, and I got a permission slip to hit the shed!  :lol:

Started by priming my side fins.

My colour scheme is going to be bright green and purple, started by spraying some green paint onto the front guns, fins engine cover and the rear turret and shield generator.

Then came the tedious masking out ready for the purple details

I then sprayed down some purple, I mixed my own shade using a combination of tamiya purple, tamiya pink and tamiya red.

The main body of the combat racer was also sprayed purple, the main colour will be green, I just did this so that I can easily mask out whats to remain purple then spray the whole thing green

I also primed the jet engines using an ingenious paint rack!  :D

There were some marks that I hadn't noticed/forgot about, so I spread some squadron white over it ready to sand once more

Okay so thats where I am at, next will be sanding and painting the engines.  Feel like I'm back on track with this now, it was really nice to get a substantial amount of work done on it.

Thanks for looking guys, more soon  :-)

October 08, 2012, 03:26:39 AM
Reply #113

Alb

• Information
    • View Profile
    • ALB-LAB
Ciao,
Alb

October 10, 2012, 02:17:45 AM
Reply #114

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
That colour scheme certainly touched a nerv.

October 10, 2012, 04:02:11 AM
Reply #115

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Great kitbash job !    :D

Thanks Alb!  :-)

That colour scheme certainly touched a nerv.

:lol: I thought you might comment on the colour scheme Will especially after I sent you the link to my evangelion F-22!! What can I say I'm a sucker for green and purple!  :D

October 12, 2012, 01:48:17 AM
Reply #116

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Had some unexpected shed time which was nice so managed to get the masking tape off and check out the paint job, have to say I love it, but as I said I love the green and purple combo  :-)

Just to mix up the metalklics so everything doesn't end up being the same alclad steel finish (not that I dislike it just for variance in shade) I mixed some silver and black enamel paint and brushed on some details on the guns, shield generator vent asnd engine cover vent and enginey bits

And I also sanded down the jet engines

I also realised that the plasma gun from the tau pirahna needed the barels drilling out, it wouldn't look right as a now 1/24 piece without

So next steps will be spraying the jet engines, plasma gun and side fin hinges with some alclad metalics, and also masking out the details for the paint scheme on the racer. Its all starting to come together nicely, I'm really looking forward to the next steps.

More soon thanks for the interest guys, your inputs always appreciated  :-)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:51:16 AM by Hunter Rose »

October 12, 2012, 04:07:31 AM
Reply #117

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
The green pops as a kind of neon colour in the pictures, definitely makes it 'futuristic'.

Lookin' excellent, man.

October 12, 2012, 01:22:42 PM
Reply #118

thejurasikfrank

• Information
    • View Profile
Great colors !
I'm really enjoying looking at you progress.

Cheers
What a piece of junk!

October 15, 2012, 08:38:27 PM
Reply #119

Altitron

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Altitron on DeviantArt