Author Topic: 1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer - Kitbash  (Read 40621 times)

June 11, 2012, 11:43:42 AM
Read 40621 times

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
This is a project I've been looking forward to starting for quite some time, I've been gradually getting materials here and there for the build.
I want to make a combat race car, but not the post apocalyptic 'Mad Max' type or stock car 'death race' type, more like the futuristic Formula 1 of combat racing, high technology big budget well organised and sponsered racing.
From the start I knew I wanted this to be a jet car racing, no wheels, a blend of wipeout, twisted metal and F1, so I got together a bunch of donor kits as well as my huge spares box

The main body of the racer is going to be the 1/24 tamiya porsche 956, its quite square though being a GT car so to break up the shape I used the rocket engine halves from an apollo 27 model.

Then I took my razor saw and cut off the front corners of the light pods, as the flat section will be my weapon bays, I'm going to scratch a couple of mini guns and some missiles for each side

Then to blend in the shape of the front I use aves to marry the sides together with the overall shape

I just smoothed it over with water but once dry I'll sand it to blend it and smooth it out.

This is just the first tiny step in the build but I'm already loving how its going, the plan will be to totally re-do the cockpit, which I am planning on lighting with some leds, I really wnat to give this build my all.

More soon guys thanks for looking  :-)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 11, 2012, 12:44:07 PM
Reply #1

struschie

• Strahl Demokratische Republik
  • Information
    • View Profile
I really like the 956 Body with the Apollo Parts! Massive flat fat base for this project - will for sure follow with interest - keep posting so much pictures :)

June 11, 2012, 01:02:59 PM
Reply #2

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks struschie! I think after the krote I must have a secret sanding addiction  :-) I just hope I can do my grand ideas justice
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

June 11, 2012, 03:13:01 PM
Reply #3

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
That's a fine collection of goodies. I can see kitbashing is a good way to reduce the stash - 6 into 1 does go :)

The shape you've got looks really cool so far, it's impressive how a smallish change like the rocket sides alters the entire form. How much is going to stick out the back?

I shall follow eagerly, I was lead coder on a flying F1-styled combat race game (we had ramming rather than weapons) for Xbox/PS2 about 10 years ago, I've had aspirations to scratch one of the vehicles but never done anything with them. Maybe these will be inspirational?

Perhaps more usefully, Stephen Tappin still has a gallery of his work online, including the Powerdrome stuff:

http://www.stephentappin.com/SET/Concepts_Powerdrome_Vehicles.html

Cheers,

Will

June 12, 2012, 12:03:20 PM
Reply #4

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
That is inspirational stuff Will! Mine will be a little chunkier in design, but I definitely think I'll add some side plane airbrakes.  As for the back of it, I'm thinking I want it all to be greebley engine stuff, its not going to be any longer than the actual 956 shape though, and the pod racer jet engines will be used and added to the top of the side parts with the intakes level with side winows.

Had one of those annoying days in the modelling shed today, first of my aves didn't cure properley  :mad , not to self: dont just think what the hell and use it anyway when your aves has turned a bit yellow!  Think it was a bit old so first thing i did was take it off and redo that with some new stuff, then after that all i did was cut my copper tube ready for my chain guns and tidy up my pilot a bit. I have a 1/24 luftwaffe bf-109 pilot I'm planning on using from Legend.

But to top off my annoying ,modelling session realised that my camera has run out of power so couldn't even take photo's of the paltry bit of work I did! So apologies for no photos in this update, will be doing more tomorrow, so there will be more soon, and hopefully it wont be another bad session! 

June 14, 2012, 04:32:11 AM
Reply #5

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Okay had a chance to work some more on this, started to put together the jet engines so I could properley start to work out shape and how they will fit. Oh and I re did the aves and its fine now (thank goodness!)

Also I put the pieces that should be on the intake end of the engine and mounted them inside the jet nozzle, because I wont be using them so it adds interest and should look good when I light them up, I'll put a semisphere over the hole in the middle.

I've decided I'm going to incorporate the engines into the side vents of the 956, so those intakes will be my jet intakes, just roughly put one in place to give an idea of the design

I'm going to chop them down in length a little so they dont stick out too far.

Also put the 956 cockpit in just to see how it fits and how much room I have to play around with.

I'm going to cut out that seat and then cover it over with a sheet of styrene to give me a blank canvas to work with, planning on having some lit up consoles all around the pilot (who will be seated centrally).  Getting that done is the first thing I want to do so its ready to be sealed inside, will be sorting the engines out at the same time so I can get it sorted and incorporated.

Going to be working on this later so there should be more later, thanks for looking  :-)

June 14, 2012, 05:02:50 AM
Reply #6

The Inner Geek

• Information
    • View Profile
    • The Inner Geek
Project is looking great already! But, I'm excited to see how you light up the cockpit. I've had many ideas about how to do that with different projects, but have never actually got around to doing it. If I could do photo etch at home like that Herr Doktor character, I think it would be a lot easier!

June 14, 2012, 08:02:02 AM
Reply #7

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
This is already shaping up to be pretty cool. Did you just have those kits lying around through the years, or did you get these specifically with this in mind?

June 14, 2012, 12:59:56 PM
Reply #8

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Inner Geek! I've still got to get my around the lights, never done it before! Ah well the deep end is where the learning is done  :-)

Cheers Shark! The kits that were purchased with this in mind were the pod racer for the engines, the 956, and the italieri 1/24 truck accessories, comes with some interesting bits and pieces, especially the big sheet of decals.

Okay so I have now cut the fixed seat out of the cockpit, the piece of white styrene at the back you can see through the hole is just a piece I glued across the back as a brace to keep the structral integrity while I scalpeled and razor sawed the hell out of it!

Then I cut some styrene sheets to cover it and have as a clean base to start my work on the cockpit

Also sanded the aves on the body

Also got the big bits of resin off the pilot figure I'm using and sawed the parachute of his backside so I can get him sitting in a low position

Wow I have to admit I'm trying to fend off that feeling of being overwhelmed when staring at a big empty cockpit I have to scratch build everything in... And light!! haha, but its all good, I like to add a new challenge to every build I do. So thats the next job to start scratching some control panels/units and the pilots chair.

Thanks for looking more soon  :-)

June 14, 2012, 09:26:36 PM
Reply #9

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile
The booms sit flush now - looks how it should :)
I like the pod engines and am looking forwad to see how you blend them in.
Any wings back there?

June 15, 2012, 04:16:55 AM
Reply #10

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks mate! The plan for blending in the engines is to first blend in the clear kinder egg type things the pilot figure is sitting on and then insert the engines into them, so it looks like the engine housing.
As for wings, still undecided, think I'm definitley going to have some form of smallish wings as airbrake controls, but not got that far ahead with the plan yet!  :-)

June 17, 2012, 01:49:27 PM
Reply #11

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Got a chance to do some more work on the racer today, started by sawing the pilot figure in half so I can lean him back further so he fits into the seat properley

Used some aves to fill the gap between top and bottom, also sawed the sides off the bucket seat, again to aid fit.

Also got some brass screw caps and placed them over the hole in the middle of turbine bits I put in the exhaust nozzle

Then I wanted to sort out the length of the jets, so started by cuttting through the support bits in the gap

Then cut off the support bits entirely and sanded each end flat, then glued them together

Then grabbed the razor saw and trimmed off the end section to bring them to the length I need.

And then sanded them nice and flat

The pilot has a breathing apparatus with a pipe, I wont be using the resin pipe that comes with it, I'll have a 1.2 mm spring tube going from his mask into a respirator unit mounted over his right shoulder.  The "respirator unit" is made from the condensation tank of a tamiya sas jeep, which I glued a piece of PE from the Legend upgrade set to look like the rim of where the pipe inserts.

I then drilled a hole through for the pipe to insert into. You can also see the photoetch piece I glued on to the back wall just to add interest, there is one each side.

Then glued it into place, along with a 1/35 land mine just as a random detail, also I cut some rectangle tube to use as the control panels so I can just insert an led to light up the contols that I will drill holes for to let the light out.

They aren't glued in place yet, will sort out the details on them first, and just to be on the safe side I filled the ends with a little aves just to be sure when they are lit no light leaks out the end.

Thats it for this update more soon  :-)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:32:44 AM by Hunter Rose »

June 17, 2012, 02:47:06 PM
Reply #12

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
You are distressingly fast at all this, all looking very good.

For the styrene pipes you probably want to paint them (ideally inside, but that's going to be tricky) with black or maybe better metallic paint to prevent light leaks. If you install them as-is and you have a pale body colour you could *maybe* get light diffusing through the plastic and visible from underneath? It depends how picky you are though - I thought I'd blocked out all light from my sub's cockpit but even with two coats of metallic paint inside, thick Bandai plastic, and the top coats you could see the odd tiny leak in total darkness.

Strips of tin foil can be good light blockers too. If it's Evergreen tube another option might be to get the smaller size that fits inside and make a little tray for the LED to sit in. Then you can paint or line the inside of that (easier) and slot it into the tube?

June 17, 2012, 07:55:40 PM
Reply #13

JohnLogan

• Information
  • Karma Gila Monster
    • View Profile
 8)  This a very cool project.  :D

June 17, 2012, 09:04:44 PM
Reply #14

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile
Great update...!!!!
The intakes now look much nicer imho - good choise :)

June 18, 2012, 01:42:08 AM
Reply #15

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
You are distressingly fast at all this, all looking very good.

For the styrene pipes you probably want to paint them (ideally inside, but that's going to be tricky) with black or maybe better metallic paint to prevent light leaks. If you install them as-is and you have a pale body colour you could *maybe* get light diffusing through the plastic and visible from underneath? It depends how picky you are though - I thought I'd blocked out all light from my sub's cockpit but even with two coats of metallic paint inside, thick Bandai plastic, and the top coats you could see the odd tiny leak in total darkness.

Strips of tin foil can be good light blockers too. If it's Evergreen tube another option might be to get the smaller size that fits inside and make a little tray for the LED to sit in. Then you can paint or line the inside of that (easier) and slot it into the tube?

Thanks Will, nice to hear someone say I'm going fast as to be honest with you I was starting to think my pace on this project was pretty slow! As for light leakage, yeah I am going to paint them to cut this out, easiest way to paint inside of tubes is to block one end and just pour in some paint, let it run everywhere then let the excess drain off. Glad you mentioned tin foil, not thought of that, will use that to line the dashboard light box

8)  This a very cool project.  :D

Thankyou John!  :-)

Great update...!!!!
The intakes now look much nicer imho - good choise :)

Cheers struschie! Yeah just wanted to make it look pretty, technically as they are the jet nozzles it should be totally open but I wanted it to look cool!  :lol:  My way of explaining it away is its some kind of jet engine boost limiter so its easier to control and race around the track  :shifty:

June 19, 2012, 01:15:13 AM
Reply #16

Dinoc

• Information
    • View Profile
    • LAND SEA AIR & SPACE
Interesting and promising project! That poor Canon Porsche will find new life after Le Mans ... to be honest they already seemed to come from a SF movie back in 1984  :-)
LAND SEA AIR & SPACE
http://lsa-space.blogspot.com/

June 22, 2012, 04:38:50 AM
Reply #17

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
Lots of creative excuses for those nozzles (which do look cool!) They could be flame holders for the afterburners, or if questioned by someone who appears to know their stuff, claim it's an aerospike engine!

June 22, 2012, 01:02:29 PM
Reply #18

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Interesting and promising project! That poor Canon Porsche will find new life after Le Mans ... to be honest they already seemed to come from a SF movie back in 1984  :-)

Thanks Dinoc! Yeah they do look like they are from the 'near future' lol

Lots of creative excuses for those nozzles (which do look cool!) They could be flame holders for the afterburners, or if questioned by someone who appears to know their stuff, claim it's an aerospike engine!

Cool I'd not heard of those engines before

Been very busy with the family but finally got a chance to get in the shed today, started by doing a bit more cutting to the bottom of the car at the back ready for when the engines are fitted

Then got back to the cockpit, the way its all going together now I need to get the cockpit done painted and wired with leds so I can get it in and sealed as it needs to be in place before I can get the engines in place.
Started by bending some PE sand channels from the sas jeep upgrade set around one of the cockpit bits, decided to have no controls on one of them just a foot plate as this will be the side where the pilot climbs in and out.

And on the other side used more PE from the upgrade set to make some contol panel details, and a bit of copper rod as a lever as the throttle contol or something

Decided against lighting the control panel, will just be the dashboard dials that are lit inside, along with a radar hud screen I'm going to add to the dash. Next I'm going to finalise the pilot and make a joystick for him.

More soon guys thanks for looking  :-)

June 22, 2012, 01:14:58 PM
Reply #19

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Lovin' all the little details there :)