Author Topic: Junk Tank Rock LT-5  (Read 3757 times)

January 22, 2009, 09:07:01 AM
Read 3757 times

silent1

• Information
    • View Profile
Hello,

Well this will be a rather ambitious project by my standards and abilities but without pushing myself I don't see the point in modeling anymore it just becomes boring and repetitive. That's what I think at least.

The project will be of a LT-5 from the JTR series and a base to accompany it. For more info on the series visit http://members.ytv.home.ne.jp/j.t.r/index.html. I love the whole spider tank look with the short barrel, and most of the JTR designs feature it which is great. Another big plus for me at least is that the series is in 1/35. On a side note I really wish the guys that make these would sell outside of Japan, so in saying that this model is a re-cough.

As for right now I have the resin pieces soaking in a bath of industrial degrease before I even bother to start working on them, but the base has started to take shape. The base is green floral foam glued to a piece of 3/4'' plywood with plaster rocks glued onto it. As you can see I have used a celluclay mixture (celluclay, white glue, and textured gel) with sand and dirt sprinkled and then pressed into the mixture. Now I just have to wait for it to completely dry before giving the whole base a nice coat of primer. The piece of paper on the base is to give me a sense of where the tank will be positioned on the base and its easier to work with then the real model in my opinion.

Also I am going to be using a few coils of barbed wire along the front section. Armorara has a great tutorial on how to make this.

January 22, 2009, 09:56:14 AM
Reply #1

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Looks very well planned--and the dio base looks great so far--but let's see some pictures of the tank!!!  :lol:
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

January 23, 2009, 05:59:52 PM
Reply #2

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Looks very well planned--and the dio base looks great so far--but let's see some pictures of the tank!!!  :lol:

It's the new camo that blends so well with the surroundings...you can't see it!!  :lol:

Looks great, I love the barbed wire. 

January 24, 2009, 07:06:21 AM
Reply #3

silent1

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, I will have pictures of the tank shortly, maybe the new optical camo is too effective but the major saw it. :D. Just need to pin it together and remove the flash I just need to find some spare time right now.

January 25, 2009, 05:31:33 PM
Reply #4

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
that is a really nice base and looks the part for the Junk Rock series.

Akira Mori, whom goes by "Charlie" is a good friend of mine and it's a shame to see that the only way to get his models is to re-cough them which I guess is a euphamism for an illegal and pirated re-cast?

These kits are sold at Wonder Festival in Japan, perhaps I should set up a dealership to offer these kinds of kits worldwide? My only concern of course is whether after all the time, effort and expense I could "compete" with the re-casts which will still undercut a legitimate operation...

Anyway, good luck with this and hope it turns out well.

Lin.K
Please check out my new online Gallery and Progress Reports!

Scale120

January 26, 2009, 07:26:25 AM
Reply #5

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
If you could get me originals, I'd buy them Lin.K!

Looks good so far S1. I notice a lot of the same techniques I use being done here. Only off thing is that the barbed wire seems too thick. Perhaps try with a thinner gauge wire? I used 32g wire for mine.

January 26, 2009, 07:48:20 AM
Reply #6

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction

Ditto! The fact that the recast market exists suggests that there's a demand for the kit itself, and not just a recast model. And, in my never-humble opinion, the folks that would be interested in these kits are the folks who understand the whole recast situation and would much rather buy the original and support the original artist.

Just going off on a tangent here...  :pirate:
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

January 26, 2009, 10:14:06 AM
Reply #7

silent1

• Information
    • View Profile
Lin.K - If you were able to get originals I would be in for a few. I hate supporting recasters but its so hard to find originals anywhere. Like zerobxu said I think people here at least would prefer the real deal even if it does cost a little more, I know I would.

Fichtenfoo-
I notice a lot of the same techniques I use being done here.
Well that would be because I have learned a lot from your works as well as others here on the forum, hope you don't mind. Its my belief that its one thing to read about it but another to actually try it but never copy someones work because it will never be as good as the original. 

As for the barbed wire I do agree with you on the size. After looking at it I planned on replacing it. Also might do three strands of straight wire or coiled wire at the top and straight at the bottom, similar to that at a prison, I will have to see which looks best. :D

On a side note I should have some progress pictures by mid-week.

January 26, 2009, 10:38:51 AM
Reply #8

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I figured that was the case. :lol: Glad to see that my progs are useful!  Do yourself a favor and use thicker basswood/plywood for the exterior "box". I always have issues with the thinner stuff warping due to the celluclay. 1/8" or thicker should do.

January 26, 2009, 11:49:51 AM
Reply #9

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com

Looks good so far S1. I notice a lot of the same techniques I use being done here. Only off thing is that the barbed wire seems too thick. Perhaps try with a thinner gauge wire? I used 32g wire for mine.

I agree, if you can get originals, I would buy them too.

January 26, 2009, 06:50:00 PM
Reply #10

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
For on topic, I've really wanted to do barb wire but had no idea so thanks for the inspiration and info link. Must give it a go. Dirt textures, colors and placement are all interesting and nifty, looks great.

Re-Cough -Sure there you go, perhaps something good hath been spawned. Will look into it and see what I can do. Will be a long-term project though but will keep you guys in the loop. Sorry that it's OT silent1 but you may have just opened my eyes to a postive and productive way I can support you guys, my friends in Japan and cut out the re-casters. Win-Win-Fail, all good!  :lol:

edit- p.s. plus we should get these models out more, they are soooooo cool aren't they!?!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:53:44 PM by Lin.K »

Scale120

January 27, 2009, 08:13:21 AM
Reply #11

silent1

• Information
    • View Profile
Just a small update for the project,

Primed the base and corrected and problems with the celluclay. Also I have more of less finished the pinning, flash removal and seam clean up on the LT and have posed on the base. Next step will be to add details from a few tank kits that are used for spare parts my favorite part :D. I plan on adding a 50 cal right by the font hatch, smoke discharges to the sides to add interest, grab handles, and sort of antenna.

Lin.k - I don't care that this got off topic its not a problem at all, if this discussion leds to something positive where we all can benefit from it that would be great and yes it would be great if we could get these models out more.:lol:

February 03, 2009, 04:30:39 PM
Reply #12

silent1

• Information
    • View Profile
Well here is this weeks update,

Started on the ground work and placing the figures that I plan on using on the base. The figures themselves  are being held together with blue tack and haven't had to much work done to them. I just want to get them on the base to get a sense of placement and what will work or not. I might add another figure to the foreground area and another by the tank, I don't know I will have to see. Also added some detail to the LT with some Tamiya tank parts and a Bandai figure for the tank commander, more cables will be added later.

As for the base it is taking shape but at a very slow pace. Pollyscale dirt was used as a base color for the ground and I have to say it works really well with all the tonal variations you can get without having to add pigments. The bushes are natural color lichen dipped in diluted white glue with one of three spices sprinkled over top. I used parsley for the brighter green, oregano for the slightly greenish yellow and lastly basil for the yellow almost dead color bushes. The grass is a mixture of woodland scenic and jute twine. Now I just need to finish filling in the ground work grass before I add pigments to the dirt, it is just a very time consuming process.

As always comments and criticism welcome.

February 03, 2009, 10:05:22 PM
Reply #13

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
You ground work is great and the subject fits nicely. My critique would be to carefully plan the action in the scene. Don't wanna be too busy. Nice work and WIP.

The boys find the guerrilla's stash to fund the war effort :yeah:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:06:49 PM by chaos_theory »
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

February 12, 2009, 02:37:12 PM
Reply #14

silent1

• Information
    • View Profile
Chaos -  I know what you mean, at the end of the day I decided to keep the figures that I currently have but rearrange them on the base to get rid of the even spacing between them.

Okay for this weeks update I have more or less finished most of the ground work. I have to add some grass and leaf clutter to the front section of the base but that's about it. It was a very time consuming process to put all the grass down and make it look half way decent, then I had to cut and remocve stray strands which was another fun project :meh:. The barbed wire will be added in soon once the oil paints dry which given how cold it is could take a while. I am going to wait until the project is almost finished before I add any pigments to the base.

As for the tank it has been primed and painted neutral grey with various shades of hull red to make rust, going to try the hairspray technique again hopefully with better results :D. After that a nice and complete coat of dulcoat was applied to seal it all in. Once that drys for a day or two the topcoat of german grey or olive drab will be applied.

The figures are on stand by right now until I get my Vallejo flesh and skin color paints that are on the way. I here they are good for hand painting so I will give a little write up about them once I get them.

February 12, 2009, 05:00:37 PM
Reply #15

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
heya silent1, grass looks great and was worth your efforts. Really coming to life now!

Lin.K

Scale120