Author Topic: This Is Not The Gans You're Looking For...  (Read 6028 times)

January 16, 2009, 08:27:57 AM
Read 6028 times

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
... At least, not the kit recently re-released by Wave. No... This is THAT's 1/20 "Wannabe Gans" from WonderFest last year. It's also my first full-blown resin kit, so it'll be a fun little learning experience.

The Kit Itself (a.k.a. "A Review"): You get what you pay for here--and I think this thing sold for roughly $50 at WF. Casting issues are present--there's a plethora of bubbles, a fair amount of seam lines, and some gigantic pour stubs. The shape of the parts, however is good--no deformities or warping here. And the fit appears to be pretty good on everything but the two pieces for the head--which I may need to do some work to correct. Of course, it clocks in at a whopping twelve parts, so there's not a whole lot of pieces to "fit". There's also no instructions--just a picture of a single view of the finished product. Considering the low parts, this isn't a big deal. Some folks could probably pull it off just as easy without the picture. Not me, necessarily, but some folks

This isn't a typical Gans, however--in case you didn't notice from the more typical THAT-style head. The mechanical details are extremely simplified. No shocks on the legs, the engine detail is light, and there's no extra/external armor pads (as you see on the back and the "knees" of the Gans). In short, a lot of the "fiddly bits" found on the IP version of the Gans are absent. As gigantic as this kit is, I think that--even with the flaws--it's a bargain at this price.

(apologies all around for World's Finest Cell Phone Camera)

The Build: Like I said, this is my first full-blown resin kit, so it's a learning experience from start to finish. Until last night, it had been soaking in "Purple Power" for about 48 hours. Last night, I washed the parts off, scrubbed 'em with a toothbrush, and tried pinning everything together.

This was my first time for pinning things as well (go figure). For most areas, I used a pair of 1/16" copper rods to pin the parts together. For where the legs and head connect to the rest of the body, I used 1/8" aluminum rod. Everything appears to be aligned and holding, so we'll just see how it goes.

Up next, I need to fix all those bubbles and clean up the seams and pour stubs. After that, I'm going to attempt to re-create some of the more noticeable features of the IP Gans, as well as add a few details of my own. No idea how I'm going to paint this thing yet, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with pigments.

There's a lot of "firsts" for me in this model, so we'll see how the whole thing plays out.

Questions, comments, and constructive criticisms are always welcome.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

January 16, 2009, 10:00:48 AM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Interesting... gonna use links technique? You're already a handpainter... might as well try it!

January 17, 2009, 06:45:30 AM
Reply #2

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
heya zerobxu, what were you thinking!?! 

Cool design though and sounds like you are going to learn a great deal out of this one. Maybe even some new swear words but don't get that glass of water near the good carpet!

Bonus points for funny title too, great start. I haven't seen this one so good timing with putting one of the styrene ones together.

Sure FF, seeing as this one's going to be a pain in the backside to get together, go straight into Looks Like Ass painting to really freak out.  :doh:  :lol:
Please check out my new online Gallery and Progress Reports!

Scale120

January 22, 2009, 06:48:59 AM
Reply #3

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay, guys. I wanted to wait till I actually had another picture before I posted a reply (thus making sure this doesn't end up like some of my other abandoned projects).

@FichtenFoo - Trust me, I study Lin.K.'s builds. I thought I was a decent hand-painter, but he brings it to an entirely new level. Books I've read on hand-painting don't take it to the same level he does.

@Lin.K. - I dunno what I was thinking. I think I finally got tired of staring at the box I had put it in and gutsy enough to play around with the jug of degreaser I'd bought months ago to clean the resin. Of course, now I'm not sure if the parts always smelled like diesel fuel or if that's a lingering fragrance of the degreaser. Either way, drilling holes in that resin gives me a flashback to the last time I had to put gas ("petrol"... whatever) in my car. I haven't learned any new swear words yet (I think I can call up most of them on a reflex), but I may be putting them in new and exciting combinations.

But enough about that... Look! I did stuff!

Let's see... First, I fixed all of the flash and most of the air bubbles. I haven't hit it with primer yet, so I'm sure I'll end up doing some more work on those areas.

After that, I went into the spares box and replaced that rail gun with a pair of resin rocket tubes (they should look familiar to someone around here). I'm envisioning this thing as more of a recon unit than a point-defense unit, so it's lightly armed. This also keeps the head from tilting to one side, due to the massive weight of that other gun. For the moment, I'm sticking with the general Ma.K. theory of just one weapon system per unit, but that may change. I also added some resin piston-like things (also from the spares box) to the backs of the upper legs, for a more Gans-like appearance.

Next, I put some machine screws into the feet--to look similar to (without exactly duplicating) whatever is on the Gans there. I used #6 hex head machine screws, 5/8" and just glued #6 washers to them. Since they were machine screws, I had to drill a hole in the top of the feet large enough to where I could actually somewhat thread them in. It works. I'm probably going to fill in the screwdriver "slot" on top of the screws with putty so they look less like a screw and more like a... carriage bolt, I guess. For what it's worth, this wasn't just something I pulled out of "Zero's Big Box of Random Hardware". I actually looked at the Wave Gans part, went to the hardware store, and this was as close as I could get. I suspect a #4 screw would probably work better here, but I couldn't find any in that same "style".

I think that, after that, I just started sticking parts on the head of the thing. As big as that head is, I envisioned the top of the head having various fiddly bits similar to that of a modern battle tank. So, I've added some antenna: There was a small one from a 1/35 Tamiya M41 Bulldog and two larger ones made from 3/8" styrene tube and brass wire. I've put a photo-etch grill over the intake on the top (which you can barely see in the picture--sorry). And I've added that periscope-sight thing from the 1/48 Hughes 500MD helicopter.

Other bits I've added are just some parts from the 1/35 Bulldog and a 1/72 Dragon Bradley, as well as sticking three pieces of styrene tube in the front of the head. I think that's about it for the modifications I've made so far, but I'm planning to do quite a bit more. There's hydraulic hoses that need to run from the leg pistons. There's the joint armor for the legs, as well as any other details I decide to add to the legs. I need to add more fiddly bits to every side of the head, with the rear being the most lacking right now.

I also took to it with two coats of Mr. Surfacer 500 last night--dabbing it on various places on the Gans where I felt a cast look might be appropriate. I missed one spot, but I'll come back and hit that the next time I pick this up.

It's pretty clear what I need to do next, but looking further down the road I see two obstacles:

(1) I have no idea what color to paint this thing. I really like the stripes that a lot of folks are giving their Gans, so I may "run with the herd" on that. As long as the dominant color of the whole thing isn't dark yellow (a color I favor entirely too much) or gray, it should be fine.

(2) The part of the body below the head of the Gans looks mighty uninteresting. On the "standard" Gans, this is filled up with lovely missile tubes. I'm not sure what I'm going to do here yet, but I haven't ruled out a secondary weapon system, just to fill up that empty space a little bit. It's probably not as evident in the picture, but it really jumps out and grabs you when you're staring at the thing on a workbench.

... And that's pretty-much where the Wannabe Gans is at, as of this morning. I appreciate any questions, comments, or constructive criticisms--as always. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
-The Wright Brothers

January 22, 2009, 04:47:37 PM
Reply #4

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
this looks much cooler than the first pics, you've added quite a bit too it. It has an interesting shape to it doesn't it? The upper broad surface is the one that will carry a pattern if you use one... Dark Yellow, always a good choice, it's such a sexy color! Hey, mine is even weathered with Dark Yellow, just so I could use it again, woohoo!

Are you thinking base or scene or something along those lines? That's always a help, as you know.

Scale120

January 23, 2009, 08:22:06 AM
Reply #5

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Are you thinking base or scene or something along those lines? That's always a help, as you know.

I keep going back and forth on that. On one hand, I like the idea of this beastie standing by itself. On the other hand, I had a picture in my head of a goose and three goslings crossing its path (perhaps even an optional Eddy in there). I blame FF and his apple-tree build. What's this forum coming to? Do we need a "Barnyard Build-Off"?!?
 :lol:

Right now, I'm on the fence. As the build progresses, I'll probably come up with a more definite plan.
-The Wright Brothers

January 23, 2009, 09:21:01 AM
Reply #6

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
Nice details so far. The machine screws are a good solution. Instead of a second weapon system what about more sensors, cameras and the like if your going recon scout. Also I hope to see the Ganz style spring shocks on the legs and the obligatory smoke launchers. :P

...On the other hand, I had a picture in my head of a goose and three goslings crossing its path.

Angry mother goose with wings aflap and squawking.  :D

I blame FF and his apple-tree build. What's this forum coming to? Do we need a "Barnyard Build-Off"?!? :lol:

Ma.K. lends itself to the barnyard theme well. See also Maschinen Krueger's Racoon vs. Rooster.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

January 23, 2009, 11:59:29 AM
Reply #7

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Thanks! I actually had a mild brainstorm idea on filling that gap, but I'm going to wait till I can put something together to see what I think of it. You will be seeing the Gans-style shocks on the legs (courtesy of some Kotobukiya option parts), but I'm not sure about the smoke launchers. While I'd like to put them on the suit, I'm not sure where they'd fit well with the overall design. I thought about the top of the head, but then it would just like he's got a massive V-6 engine in his head.

As for the geese, I was thinking more along the lines of a mother goose just walking across the path of the Gans, followed by two goslings and a single gosling further back running to catch up with the group... We'll see if I can make that one happen or not...

And the barnyard theme? Good point!
-The Wright Brothers

January 23, 2009, 05:04:30 PM
Reply #8

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
Barnyard? On the fence? Get it?  :lol:

Barnyard and trampling geese and a kid with a stick, that sounds pretty cool. Not sure if it ramps it up too much but what about crashing through part of a barn?

They do fight in Nth America in the story and I am not sure that I have seen it much besides these ideas and Foo's recent dio so what about one of those iconic US style red barns with the white trim, or part of one? It instantly breaks it away from the WWII genre which is very popular because of people's familiarity with modelling it and the pre-approved color palette.

Big red bard with white, splotchy green on green camo on the Gans with white bands and white animals for flavor. If it ends up too white, then yellow stripe the Gans?

Some ideas thrown out, feel free but not obligated of course.

Smoke Launchers - yeah, looks hard to squeeze them in. The way the schrecks are placed on the head they are almost giant smoke launchers aren't they?

Scale120

January 23, 2009, 05:46:51 PM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Looking good. Don't do the red barn... but do the big red barn with the RED MAN CHEW sign painted on the side! Now THAT would be different!

January 26, 2009, 06:35:19 AM
Reply #10

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
I kinda like the idea of putting a barn in the scene, but if I did I think I'd build it out of wood from the hobby store... And yes, I like the "RED MAN CHEW" (or something similar) idea for the side of the barn. Getting that right is a pretty big project unto itself. I suspect I'll finish the model, and then--slowly--start work on the barn while messing with other things...

The good news is that I made some progress on the Gans-thing while my better half played "The Simpsons" on my Xbox. Even better, I dug out the good camera to take the pictures:

Basically, I was just adding on bits and pieces wherever I saw fit. There's a few pieces from that 1/35 Bulldog, and there's a lot of plain ol' styrene. I put a small piece of mechaskunk mesh on the engine "deck"(?), just to dress it up. I also hit that other spot, below the head, with Mr. Surfacer 500--having missed it on the first go-around with that stuff. Oh, and note that I'm still planning on using that pair of missile tubes. I'd just fiddled with the part enough where it wouldn't stay in the proper position, due to weight and gravity. So I just left that off until I'm ready to use adhesive to keep it in place.

The leg springs are taken care of, as well. For that, I actually used a set of Kotobukiya "modeling support goods". There was one piece that was the large spring and another piece that had two very close attachement points. I'm not sure if that's what they intended all along, but I cut the piece with the attachment points in half and glued one part on the top of the spring and the other part on the bottom. The result is something that ends up looking very close to the Gans springs. And that was the whole reason I bought the Kotobukiya set to begin with, so it gets to fulfill its purpose.

I still need to do the hydraulic hoses, but I already know how I'm going to handle that (tubing from the 1/12 moto kit + styrene rod + paperclip). I also need to do the leg armor--and I know how I'm going to handle most of that (ping pong balls and a motorcycle fender?). There's also still the mechanical details on the front of the feet, which I don't have a firm direction on yet. And I need to add some fiddly bits to the front of the "body", to make it more Gans-like. Finally, there's the matter of the space that needs to be filled below the head. I have two different ideas there, and hopefully I'll have something to show on one of them soon.

... And I would have gotten more done, but mtomczek introduced FichtenFoo and I to "Team Fortress 2" on Saturday, so I killed ALL my free time on Sunday with that.  :lol:   :razz:

So, there's been a lot done. There's certainly still a ways to go, but I'm pleased with the progress thus far.

Questions, comments, and constructive criticisms are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for tuning in.
-The Wright Brothers

January 26, 2009, 07:14:17 AM
Reply #11

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
well there you go, it's building itself Weird Science style. Did you remember to hook up the doll?

Greeblie on dude.

Team Fortress... the vids looked pretty good and it has a Aussie Dirty Sniper class, I could play that!  :lol:

Scale120

January 26, 2009, 07:23:11 AM
Reply #12

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
TF2 was a shitload of fun, even with my many deaths.

I was thinkling, funnier than Red Man Chew sign would be the kids equivalent of: BAZOOKA JOE! Make a guy hiding behind the barn with the sign with a... wait for it... bazooka! :lol:

January 26, 2009, 07:59:26 AM
Reply #13

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
@Lin.K. - I did not remember to hook up the doll... I fear an ICBM may be coming up through the basement at any given moment. You also managed to drop in a reference to one of Alisha's (my better half) all-time favorite movies. We're children of the 80's We grew up in the 80's after all (edit: I don't think that being born in '72 qualifies me as a child of the 80's, necessarily...).

As for TF2... It runs about 20 bones around here. Not sure what the Orange Box costs in your neck of the woods, but with five games on the disc, it's definitely a solid offering. Not only that, but there's been some rumbling of spinning up a "FFF Game Night" on Xbox Live once a week. Granted, the international dateline means it would probably be "FFF Game Crack-of-Dawn" for you, but still... We'd love to shoot with/at you (and pulling off a head shot with that Aussie sniper is deeply satisfying).

I'd been hesitant at screwing around with TF2, just because it's ALL online, there's no real offline mode, etc. I found out this weekend that the best way to play is just jump in feet-first. Hell, it was even fun playing as the medic!

@FichtenFoo - TF2 was definitely buckets upon buckets of fun. GTA IV was loads of fun--still not sure why mtomczek opted to stick with that Chinese woman as his in-game character--but TF2 was sugar-loaded, double-barreled, charred-and-bloody goodness.

It's funny you should mention the Bazooka Joe thing. I was just this morning thinking about hiding a AFS in the barn, peering around the corner. Of course, the Bazooka Joe thing is MUCH funnier. I'm definitely putting that at the top of the list for good ideas for this project.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:10:46 AM by zerobxu »
-The Wright Brothers

January 31, 2009, 09:10:43 PM
Reply #14

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Cool project, although it is kinda funny to see a guy turn to a garage kit just before the much-anticipated IP release... :P

The upside is that working with the resin kit really seems to have inspired you to do some great detailing work. The only part that looks kinda plain still is the legs, unless there is molded-in detail I can't see.

Oh, and you guys are about a year late on the TF2 bandwagon... But yeah, great game if you get balanced teams. Is it new to XBOX? (I play PC)
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

February 02, 2009, 08:29:39 AM
Reply #15

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Cool project, although it is kinda funny to see a guy turn to a garage kit just before the much-anticipated IP release... :P

The upside is that working with the resin kit really seems to have inspired you to do some great detailing work. The only part that looks kinda plain still is the legs, unless there is molded-in detail I can't see.

The legs are ridiculously plain. I've still got quite a bit of work to do there, but when I'm done it should be just about on-par with what you see in the IP release. And yeah... I didn't actually start working on it until after I had the IP kit on-hand. Weird, but it certainly is a great reference for getting the size of the scratch-built parts right!

Oh, and you guys are about a year late on the TF2 bandwagon... But yeah, great game if you get balanced teams. Is it new to XBOX? (I play PC)

No--it's been out forever on the 360. I think you can find it for under $20 new these days. I didn't really start playing it until mtomczek "showed us the ropes" a couple weeks ago. And I'm addicted. I've heard complaints that there's very few matches out there on Xbox Live, but I've been playing it at all hours and never had too much trouble finding a good match. Heck, there were probably ten matches in progress the first time I checked yesterday (Sunday) morning.

Back to the Gans-ish thing (I think my little resin beast needs a better name than "Wannabe Gans"), I did a little work this weekend, but nothing worth posting. I'll wait a day or two till I have something semi-significant to show.
-The Wright Brothers

February 02, 2009, 07:09:23 PM
Reply #16

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
just having a good look over the pics again and have some ideas for you zerobxu. They are worth their price naturally.  :sarcasm:

How about a strip of half-rounded styrene down the centre of the middle legs with a few bolts on either side. ID bands can go down here and then with a set of cables going up the leg, it's detailed up quite a bit. Of course this is taking inspiration straight from the regular Gans and if you want to keep it different I completely understand.

Weird Science - You forgot to hook up the doll!?!

"It's a Pershing Missile Chet."
"I didn't think it was a whale's dick honey"

yeah, love that movie. The 80's were so cool in how lame it all was. Vernon Wells riding his Mad Max image just that little bit further from Weird Science to Commando... Who would be ascared of a guy in a chain mail skirt anyway?

Scale120

February 04, 2009, 07:30:28 AM
Reply #17

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely be doing that. I even picked out the half-round from my piles of styrene last night. I think I've mentioned this before, but your progress pictures have been just the absolute best kind of reference while trying to recreate the Gans look on this thing. A perfect example of this was yesterday when I was looking at your "upskirt shot" to figure out where those cables that run along the top surface of the legs feed into. Even looking at the instructions for the Wave Gans didn't help me there.

I was hoping to have an update posted today, but the pictures I took are a complete blur and a total lighting mess. Hopefully, I'll have something to post on this tomorrow.
-The Wright Brothers

February 04, 2009, 10:36:31 AM
Reply #18

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Sorry for the double-post...

Quick update: I snapped a couple of pictures (with the #$% cell phone) at lunch, so I can now briefly talk about the progress. First, the pic:

I did a little bit of work on the top of the head (which you obviously can't see), but also did some detailing work to the legs. First, I cut a 1/12 motorcycle handlebar in half, and stuck those on the feet. Next, I took some more pieces off that 1/35 Bulldog tank to guide the cable that goes from the feet up the legs, eventually ending up "plugging in" to the underside of the Gans. For the cable, I just used some soldering wire. Perfect size, and extremely easy to work with. Finally, I took the front fender from that same motorcycle kit and cut them up to use as "pads" on the top of the leg joints.

With the addition of the ping pong armor and a little more fiddly bits around those handlebar pieces, construction of the legs should be just about done. After that, I need to turn my attention to the area underneath the head (blurry reference picture) and figure out the best way to fill that space. Missile tubes are out. I don't want another weapons system on here. Whatever it is, it should really come out from the sides of that piece under the "head". Even that picture doesn't do justice to how odd it looks with nothing there. It looks like a chicken that swallowed a tin of mints. I'm certainly open to suggestions here, as what I've brainstormed really doesn't seem to work.

As always, I appreciate your questions, comments, and (constructive) criticisms. Thanks for looking.
-The Wright Brothers

February 05, 2009, 08:09:29 PM
Reply #19

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
The rather crude resin model actually serves as a good base for your mods, which makes this build very interesting.  You're making great progress with the detailing.  Must be a lot of fun.

The disappearance of international scale reference (a.k.a. Vienna sausage) has been very distressing for me... :razz: :lol: