Author Topic: GN-X custom scratchbuild  (Read 36445 times)

September 21, 2008, 11:29:44 AM
Read 36445 times

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
Continue from this thread: http://fichtenfoo.com/forum/index.php?topic=4223.0

Now i have moved back to london and decided to go for a gnx, so this is the wip thread.
The goal for this project is a rather large model of a modified gnx. And finally present it like a resinkit like ZLuca does of his models. (Thank you Luca for all the inspiration)

I have done a few sketches on my computer (dont have any paper or pencils yet. lol)

The idea is a gnx/gnx advanced with more bits and detail than you would find on the 1/144 kit.

So if you have any thoughts, ideas, suggetions, links, feedback or anything please post it here.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:27:40 AM by FichtenFoo »

September 22, 2008, 05:38:43 AM
Reply #1

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
i have started with some rough 3D sketches. now done with the feets and a copy of the org gnx gun.
i find this kind of sketching very useful, i get a very good sense of how the shapes are and it is much easier to build it later and more or less eliminates the need for mockups.

The feet have some extra fins and boosters hidden

September 22, 2008, 05:56:32 AM
Reply #2

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I am really hoping to see Bandai do a 1/100 of the GN-X and I really like the design. I'm looking forward to what you do with this. The kit sounds great, but please include the head design as an option with the center eye sensor dealie and that's one of my favorite aspects of the original design. Looking good so far.

September 22, 2008, 08:00:13 AM
Reply #3

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
Thank you FF. And what a ironic post this will be, i was just finished with this before i checked your post.

I was thinking alot about the fin, i tried to make it a horn or something like that, but this is where i am now.

i hope i have time to include optional bits like different heads, but i also have to keep the number of parts from reaching out of what is reasonable.

September 24, 2008, 03:36:14 PM
Reply #4

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
I am now done with the 3D sketch, i have all the elements i need in place but some tweaking is still needed before i can make the final blueprints.

September 24, 2008, 04:36:51 PM
Reply #5

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.
WHOA! this is so freaking cool.

I'm very interested in this process and will be watching like a hawk lol.

September 25, 2008, 09:44:46 AM
Reply #6

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks makalaka, you are boosting my moral, i have started to nerd with the renders and stuff, and made a few test movies for my initial presentation.

It is now very little for me to do until first day of school this monday, except for get supplies. so hopefully i can begin building this mtf within the next two weeks.

September 25, 2008, 10:31:18 AM
Reply #7

sentinel011

• Information
    • View Profile
How are you going to cast out the parts? Really excited to see how this project works =D

September 25, 2008, 11:19:34 AM
Reply #8

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
I will be using this technique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSH19G_6Yeo to make multipart silicone moulds.

The legs, arms and "wings" are identical so i only need to build one and cast it.

September 25, 2008, 01:26:58 PM
Reply #9

GK

• Information
    • View Profile
Woah!  :twitch:
That is cool! I can't wait to see the actual build up of this. Can I ask what you used to do those renders?

September 25, 2008, 02:52:32 PM
Reply #10

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
I cant wait either, hehe.

The modelling, rigging, animation and rendring are all done in cinema4D, and i use final cut express and photoshop for the post editing.
The pictures and movie in this thread are all made out of two renders, one wireframe and a render with global illumination to get those nice grainy shadows. Then i blend them in ps/fce.

wire..

global illumination (Stochastic) two yellow lightsources with purple hard raytraced shadows and a sky object with white light.

Photoshop composite wire at 50% transparent and the render ontop with overlay blend

I like the proper render but you cant see the shapes very well, and i think the composit give a good "wip feel"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:35:58 PM by ildhane »

September 26, 2008, 06:16:38 AM
Reply #11

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm really excited about this project! The 3d frame is really cool.

September 28, 2008, 05:12:07 AM
Reply #12

GodOfDeath

• Information
    • View Profile
Beautifull 3D skatch and lovely design. I think that this is the best way to make a model idea, but is difficult and slow if you can't manage well this kind of software.

September 28, 2008, 11:38:58 AM
Reply #13

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
thank you, this is not my design though. And the process is slow even if you know the program, the best way is skribbling and sketching with pencil on paper its much faster. but i think a 3D model are a good replacement of the classic blueprint.

I learned this program by myself last year when we had a "reading week" to prepare us to our second year major project, and i sat day and night for one week and learned cinema 4d trough web tutorials and got help from some of the guys from game and 3D design at my school, i even got thumbs up by the tutor from the visual effects course. But i got a blank no from my teacher to make the plane i had designed my self, and had to start all over again, stupid tutors.

Now back to the gnx, i need your help with a few things;
-The arms i feel the shoulders are missing something, i want to put wings there, but mini gn drives are also a good idea, what would you want to see there?
-Kits, i need to get some kits for some kitbashing, what kind of kits has the most interessting bits in them? i have very little expirience with gunplas. do they have alot of bits suitable for bashing? or would i be better off just buying some cheap ww2 kits?
-do you have any general suggestions to the design, color or anything?

September 28, 2008, 01:45:39 PM
Reply #14

Cmdr Harabec

• Information
    • View Profile
If you want to add something to the shoulders, what about the Advanced GN-X's defense rods? You're fairly close to the design as-is... Although it should also be noted the Advanced GN-X can equip beam launchers there in place of them, as well - they're never shown though, so that might be more interesting to see than the defense rods.

September 29, 2008, 08:19:43 AM
Reply #15

GodOfDeath

• Information
    • View Profile
But i got a blank no from my teacher to make the plane i had designed my self, and had to start all over again, stupid tutors.

I hate too the tutors in my university, they are young and useless :meh:.

For the arms I'm agree with you, there's need somethings behind the shoulders, maybe some boosters like the  ones  on the skirt. What do you think?

September 29, 2008, 10:59:02 AM
Reply #16

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
I personally don't see a need to add anything to the shoulders. From a modeling / scratch building stand point building out from the rounded surface will be difficult to model. From a molding / casting standpoint the undercuts on the round shoulder will make this a very difficult task.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

September 29, 2008, 11:15:44 PM
Reply #17

dr_feelgood

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Mechaion Designs
I like the head design, kindda reminds me of an EVA mech! lloking forward to this build! ^_^

October 05, 2008, 03:55:16 PM
Reply #18

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
I think i can start the build tomorrow, i am not "allowed" to start before everyone had a presentation and approval of their project. in other words about three weeks. but i cant be wasting my time playing wii anymore.

i have not got my student loan yet so i am broke, but i can get quite far with suff from the bin here.

a few updates, new refined legs, and the "wings" have now a less lazy design.

Blueprints, at this point i am very glad i made the digital model first. everything wil be easier now.

October 08, 2008, 10:49:46 AM
Reply #19

ildhane

• Information
    • View Profile
Huge update! the build has started. We are not supposed to start building anything yet, so i am kind of building it under my desk, hiding it from the tutors. The workshop is overpopulated by the freshers learning to use the band saw, so progress is really slow.

Start: I use the very soft blue foam to just test the shape and as a sketchmodel. The red much harder chemiwood is for the master model.

In the middle there is a styrene profile to let me know where the centerline is.

I had loads of extra time today, so i made this tf2 sentrygun. it turned out rly cool. i did not have any paint so i tested some creative painting methods with some leftover paint i found. utter disaster.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:23:42 PM by ildhane »