Author Topic: 1/100 NG Gundam Exia  (Read 5347 times)

April 14, 2008, 06:19:06 PM
Read 5347 times

GlauG

• Information
  • Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
So, late last year I moved to Japan, which is why none of my old WIPs have gone anywhere;  I had to leave them in the UK. >_< 

I've picked up all the NG 1/100 00 kits so far, and am overall really impressed with how they've been engineered.  Very minimal issues with things like panel lines, very poseable so almost no mods required (IMO).  I also picked up a book called "Nomo Ken 1", a Japanese modelling guide published by Hobby Japan, and was inspired to try some of the techniques for scribing panel lines etc it suggests.  Some of the results are below;

I do HATE the flexible rubber parts on these kits.  Since I'm probably going for a "Trans-Am" look (its power-up mode where things are red and sparkly), I've cut clear plastic replacements for all the rubber parts beside the cables in the shoulders, but I'm not sure about what sort of setup I should go for with the springs.  I quite like the one large and one small look, but friends have suggested I use multiple small springs for a "ribbon" look... any suggestions?

April 14, 2008, 06:54:07 PM
Reply #1

Amalga

• iLurk
  • Information
    • View Profile
I'm the kind of guy who would eliminate the shoulder "strip" altogether. I'm building the Exia as well and I threw away the rubber parts, instead opting to just add details there myself if needed.

The lone spring, however, does look weird, so I'd either suggest multiple springs or a chain links (I believe Mechaskunk would have some; I could be wrong).
The story of life is a long, brutal assault on your heart by the one who knows what you're capable of, and fears it--all the while pursued by the God who knows you deeply and loves you truly."

April 14, 2008, 06:54:50 PM
Reply #2

AnatoleFarmond

• Fairly Useless
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Yeah, you haven't been around for a while. Hows Japan?

As for you question, I like the idea of the multiple small springs, it may be an interesting look, why don't you test it out and take a pic?
"No matter how good you get, there will always be someone better than yourself." ~ Char Aznable

April 14, 2008, 08:49:17 PM
Reply #3

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
The lone spring, however, does look weird, so I'd either suggest multiple springs or a chain links (I believe Mechaskunk would have some; I could be wrong).

I can get Adler's Nest etc chains out here, thankfully (MAD PROPS to Fulcy, however;  If it wasn't for the extra it'd cost to get stuff shipped from him to Japan, his prices would be competitive with Volks' store in Osaka!).  I'm toying with getting something like an ammunition belt type chain, if you've seen that kind?  However the current spring setup is, well, done with materials I have to hand. :)

Also, I kind of want to keep the cables there in some form or another.  The look's grown on me a lot. 

As for you question, I like the idea of the multiple small springs, it may be an interesting look, why don't you test it out and take a pic?

Those two pics are actually with multiple springs of different sizes.  I'll probably have to buy some more lengths of spring to make "ribbon cable".    Also Japan's great, mostly. :D  I just don't earn a lot of money, so I can't spend as much as I'd like on Gunpla etc. :P

April 14, 2008, 09:52:20 PM
Reply #4

AnatoleFarmond

• Fairly Useless
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
I hear yah there, I decide weather or not I want groceries... or metal thrusters... XD I hear it's expensive to live their too.

As for the cables... what I thought you meant was, taking several small (All the same size however) cables and lining them up so they where all parallel and touching. Have you seen Erix's build for the Exia? It's a wonderful reference.
"No matter how good you get, there will always be someone better than yourself." ~ Char Aznable

April 15, 2008, 01:03:13 AM
Reply #5

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
I hear yah there, I decide weather or not I want groceries... or metal thrusters... XD I hear it's expensive to live their too.

As for the cables... what I thought you meant was, taking several small (All the same size however) cables and lining them up so they where all parallel and touching. Have you seen Erix's build for the Exia? It's a wonderful reference.

Yeah, that was the alternative I mentioned, but it'd involve me going and buying more of the small type cable. :( 

And Erix's Exia is awesome!  As well as offputtingly good. :P  I'm trying to do my own thing despite having seen all the awesome mods he's done. :D

April 15, 2008, 06:48:11 AM
Reply #6

AnatoleFarmond

• Fairly Useless
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Yeah, the good thing about his build is it helps you notice some of the small sections that may have been overlooked. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing what choices you make and how you kit comes out, haven't seen one from you in a while.

April 15, 2008, 06:49:04 PM
Reply #7

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Well, Exia itself is pretty much done, besides what I want to do to the shoulders, so I thought I'd take a shot at painting the blue parts (as all the modding I was going to do to them is finished).  Unfortunatly, my Aztec Airbrush I brought out to Japan with me (cheap but thus far reliable single-action thingy) stopped spraying after I'd got through a tiny bit of detail work...  Turns out that the ball-jointed top part of the paint cup had developed a crack which means that paint wasn't feeding through to the brush itself...

In lieu of an update on Exia, please laugh at my kitbashed airbrush. >_>;

April 16, 2008, 06:40:03 PM
Reply #8

Titan-ex

• Information
    • View Profile
Well, Exia itself is pretty much done, besides what I want to do to the shoulders, so I thought I'd take a shot at painting the blue parts (as all the modding I was going to do to them is finished).  Unfortunatly, my Aztec Airbrush I brought out to Japan with me (cheap but thus far reliable single-action thingy) stopped spraying after I'd got through a tiny bit of detail work...  Turns out that the ball-jointed top part of the paint cup had developed a crack which means that paint wasn't feeding through to the brush itself...

In lieu of an update on Exia, please laugh at my kitbashed airbrush. >_>;

Looks a lot like my modded bottle tops. :P

April 17, 2008, 07:06:59 AM
Reply #9

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
So, started painting.  The colour scheme I'm going for is the "Trans Am" mode Exia uses towards the end of the first season, which involves lots of Unicorn/Destiny style pink sparkles.  Unfortunately, I've been fighting with my airbrushes and a Mr Linear Compressor which seems to do only a very low PSI output...

The beam sabres got a coat of Gaia colour flourescent pink, while the clear parts had the pink as a backing and Alclad holochromatic chrome on the side facing us for an effect that the camera doesn't pick up very well...

The red's Gunze Mr Mazora layers over a few layers of clear gloss red.  Unfortunately the first red layer came out a bit thick, and I don't have anything to safely strip it at the moment. 

A snapshot of my crappy spraybooth, and my quick-and-dirty stands...

More stuff I need to do;

Paint the clear plastic sheets I cut to replace the rubber parts (same pink/holochrome effect as the clear parts for the kit), and add pink sparkly detail to some areas.

Pick out panel lines, not sure what I'll do yet, might get some Tamiya matt, the easiest paint to remove ever...

Mask off and paint all the metal areas on the blue and white parts.

April 18, 2008, 05:54:56 AM
Reply #10

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
So, despite a minor mishap involving losing Exia's faceplate (  :sarcasm: ) I managed to put down flat colours on most of the parts so I have an idea what to play with.

Loosely snapped together, the face isn't clicked into place properly, for example. 

A better picture, which gives you some ideas of the "special" paint effects on the red and pink parts, as well as how it all looks.

Next up is adding all the "glow" from the Trans-Am mode, as well as darkening the blue slightly with Mazora and shading panel lines etc etc...

April 19, 2008, 07:41:27 PM
Reply #11

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Okay, so I hate ABS plastic. >_<  I seem to have this recurring problem where the plastic on joints for kits sometimes just fractures or shears, for no obvious reason.  There don't seem to be any common factor between them besides the fact that they're grey ABS and they're usually arm joints, I've been using different paints/thinners etc, and I'm not being violent with them or anything.  It happened with My MG Wing Zero Custom, 2 MG Freedoms, and now my 1/100 NG Exia.  The good news is that this time I'm in Japan, so I can see if Bandai will send me replacements...

Still, besides the upper and lower parts of the elbow joint both cracking, I'm extremely happy with how this is coming along.  A wash of Tamiya flat black over the grey parts toned them down nicely, and the pink spangly Trans-Am looking parts are all about right.  The parts I'm hand-painting all need some refinement, but besides that, it's looking alright,  You can see in the pics where I've replaced the grey vinyl pieces with clear plastic I then painted flourescent pink on one side and holochromatic chrome on the other.  The other parts were just the chrome over the gloss flourescent pink.

Annoyingly, the pics don't show off the GN drive very well, the chrome effect looks really nice to the eye but a lot of the shiny-ness is lost with my bad photography...  I don't really have the room for it out here, so I'm not likely to get any good photos anytime soon. 

I was going to use Mr Mazora colour for sharing the blue a little, to make it look darker like it does on the show, but to be honest I'm not sure it's worth the hassle at this point.  I'll be spraying the cables pink at some point though, as I keep forgetting...

April 21, 2008, 02:45:54 PM
Reply #12

sentinel011

• Information
    • View Profile
seem to have this recurring problem where the plastic on joints for kits sometimes just fractures or shears, for no obvious reason.

I get that sometimes too, but it's because the parts weren't primed/soaked with too much thinner, usually more so if you hand paint or when your paint/thinner ratio has a high content of thinner.

April 21, 2008, 04:10:43 PM
Reply #13

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
I get that sometimes too, but it's because the parts weren't primed/soaked with too much thinner, usually more so if you hand paint or when your paint/thinner ratio has a high content of thinner.

Damn, it was right after I did a wash with thinned Tamiya black... didn't think Tamiya thinner would be an issue, it was lacquer thinners and enamel thinners that did it before, and that was airbrushed...  Cheers for the heads-up.

May 13, 2008, 01:26:34 AM
Reply #14

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile

So, since Bandai are crap and never replied to my request for spare parts, I had to use whitebase's excellent milliput recasting technique on Exia's broken arm joint.  I'm not 100% happy with the outcome, but it's a hell of a lot better than, well, no arm. >_>;  Just need to paint the replacement joint, hopefully the paint will make it have a bit more grip on the lower part without making it so tight it breaks...

EDIT:

Gave it a quick hand-brushing and it matches the rest of the frame.  It's a little loose up the top, but I'll slowly change that with Mr Surfacer 1000...   

Next up is panel line shading, repainting the gold parts, and maybe giving the white another coat. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 07:00:11 PM by GlauG »

May 18, 2008, 04:54:00 PM
Reply #15

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile

Painted the gold parts while I was messing around with my Overflag last nigt.  Now all I need to do is paint the cables (neon pink, though I'm half-tempted to leave them), do the panel lines (probably with a thinned wash of tamiya acrylic) and then do decals.  I was tempted to give the white another thin coat, but I don't think I will now.

May 18, 2008, 05:03:12 PM
Reply #16

Amalga

• iLurk
  • Information
    • View Profile
What color will you use for the wash?

Something reddish may be a good pick, though I don't know how well it will show against the blue parts.
The story of life is a long, brutal assault on your heart by the one who knows what you're capable of, and fears it--all the while pursued by the God who knows you deeply and loves you truly."

May 18, 2008, 05:56:43 PM
Reply #17

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Hmm, I was just going to pick out detail with a fine brush, so I might thin down some clear Tamiya red.  If I'd thought about it, I could have got some Gunze Acrylic flourescent pink...

May 24, 2008, 09:14:50 PM
Reply #18

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Well, the model store near me didn't have Mr Colour acrylic flourescent pink, so I just thinned down the Gaianotes lacquer one.  Big mistake. -_-;  I don't like the finish at all, though at least the overall look is nice. 

After this, just need to do decals and clearcoats, I think.  Tempted to try and strip/repaint the big sword though...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:18:26 PM by GlauG »

May 28, 2008, 04:57:43 PM
Reply #19

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
So, I'm kind of tempted to buy another Exia, or find a way of stripping this one safely with products I can find in Japan (No Formula 409, no Dettol, nor Cillit Bang out here... Argh!), anyone have any suggestions on what I could use?  I reeeeally screwed this up.  To make it worse, the Alclad SFX paint I went slightly overboard with costs about $40 for a 1floz bottle. 

Also, the photos kinda suck because it's a really overcast day here.

In retrospect, what really messed things up for me was the florescent pink I tried panel lining with.  I should have got some red india ink or similar and tried a wash with that instead.  Hindsight is always 20/20, of course.  It looks pretty Trans-Am-y, but I don't like how it actually looks on the model. >_<