Author Topic: 1/100 EX-36 Cosmo Tiger II by Bandai  (Read 4877 times)

September 17, 2015, 01:57:16 AM
Read 4877 times

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Well after a much needed break from modelling for a couple of months (first one in about 6 years of going project to
project!) I've made a tentative return to the bench with a Cosmo Tiger II, I got the kit after seeing a lot of Space Battleship
Yamato inspired stuff here and elsewhere.

Feeling pretty pumped about this one, seems like a cool little model.

Just going OOB with this one, the kit allows for various versions to be made, allowing for the single seater fighter verson or the 2 seater with a turret gunner. I'm going for the latter, the turret is really cool.

So its time for good old sprue cutting!

Want to build as much as I can before hitting the paint stage, got the body together, there are the two bits that stick out at the back which are designed to be held in place when the body goes together. But as these are red I cut the plastic to allow them to be inserted after painting to save on masking, also did the same thing for the engine cover which slots in front.

Got the missiles/bombs stuck in place, again there is an option to add two large torpedos but I've stuck with the classic look, will sand out the seams later before painting.

Then the top and bottom fins were glued in, as were the landing gear covers, going for the in flight look, with pilots, its got to be played with! haha

Nose cone bits were added, think these are laser cannons (I've never actually watched much of the show!)

Then I want to get cracking on the cockpit to get the front end together, hit it with primer then sprayed some black over it and into the inside of the front end as some of it is visible when inserted.

Made a small start painting it, just got the side consoles painted white, when dry I'll use a wash on it and add further details. And I got the tiny pilots and chairs glued onto a ice lolly stick for ease of paining.

So thats where I'm at at the minute, next up I'll be continuing with the cockpit and pilots, and will get the seams from missiles sanded out.

Thanks for looking, more soon :)
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 24, 2015, 02:17:50 AM
Reply #1

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
 Big update, mainly due to major login problems, which I'm assuming are all fixed now with the new look to the forum and all, and its not gibberish code now when I access the site!

So here are all the updates crammed into one post  :-)

Got a bit of shed time yesterday so was able to make more progress, got the seats painted in red and gray, on the box they are just black but I went for red for a bit of interest.

And got a little more done with the figures too, man they are fiddly as hell! Painted the boots and gloves gray and gave them yellow cuffs and they have a tiny yellow arrow on their chest which went on okay but I'll neaten it up with some black later.

As you can see I also blobbed in the basic face colour, when I paint the helmets I'll neaten that up too and try to add some detail.

Did a little more work on the cockpit, a little dry brush in grey and some dots of red and yellow on the control consoles, and the good thing about this is you can fit the seats, pilots and front control console after its in the front end, so I was able to get that together too.

And as I said its gear up for this one, so I put the covers in place and got the back section on too.

For now I also got the rear turret together and painted and dry brushed the bits that go behingd the clear sections on the fron, I'll pick out some detail before I get them in place just for a bit of visual interest.

I painted the red of the helmets, then when dry I blobbed on some yellow dots for the sides and the blue of the visor. And the final step was a grey dry brush over the black parts of the pilot suit.

Then I decided to paint the seats a lighter red more like the helmets, didn't like the burgundy much.

And now the little gunner figure is done I could get him and his seat glued into place on the turret, the back section of the gun was given another dry brush with a lighter grey, just to differentiate a bit between turret and barrels

I really want to get cracking with the main body painting, so I masked out the cockpit with some white tack, and then primed the body bits and got the nosecone on

I used tamiya sky blue and sky grey to make the toned down blue of the tiger. Wanted to keep it more on the blue side compared to the box photos, to keep it more like the classic anime look (to me anyway!)

So then I could get all the blue bits painted with my airbrush

Once dry I painted an acrylic mix of black/silver/brown over the engines, this will be dry brushed when dry and then the engine cover can go on.

Then I masked out the black stripe that goes from the cockpit to the nose cone, sprayed it with black vallejo as it was out on the bench,

Couldn't resist also taking off the cockpit mask too as its in no danger now, also hand painted the small section at the back of the cockpit black.

I've started cutting and cleaning up the clear parts, really need to get the turret dome sorted so I can get it in place and then whack the airframe together.

got the guys in the cockpit

Rear engine cover is on, I did dry brush the engine with some silver but forgot to a pic before I put the cover on!

And got the front console sorted for the cockpit, started by painting it black, then painted the hud clear green and got some dash detail on. Its really not clear in the photos but the hud isn't quite as dark as it looks.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:18:40 AM by Hunter Rose »
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

October 24, 2015, 02:19:37 AM
Reply #2

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Then  got it stuck in place, so thats the tub finished.

Now its time for some red, sprayed the rear pointy bits with some tamiya flat red

And got the red missile tips painted on with some scarlet enamel paint(decided aginst acrylics, the enamels are more solid with one coat)

Only other thing I've done is spray the main body parts with some future floor polish thinned with a bit of tamiya acrylic thinner

And then just used some vallejo acrylic red with a brush for the nose tip

after the future has completely dried I brushed my dark acrylic flory wash all over the tiger

And when that's dry, using kitchen paper and cotton buds I wiped it off leaving the panel line detail. I didn't go mad wiping it off, I like the dirty weathered look it leaves behind, seems to fit with the cosmic spacedust look!

Really happy with how that came out, love that stage, its like magic haha!

For now I've sprayed the missiles and got them drying ready for the same treatment

So the wip is totally up to date now, next I will start to get the turret dome painted too, its too damn small and fiddly for masking, so I'll airbrush the clear part with the blue I mixed, then scrape off the paint with a toothpick where I dont want it to be.

Thanks for looking, more soon :-)

October 28, 2015, 12:13:47 AM
Reply #3

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Okay, managed to grab some time to model and do an update! Started by putting the flory wash over the missiles now the clear coat is dry

Then when dry rubbed it off to give the same panel lined dirty look as the body, as you can see there's as much detail on the missiles as the airframe

Then I brush painted the clear bits with my blue mix

Then used a cocktail stick to scrape off the excess, which was actually a really simple way of doing it I picked up from the britmodeller forum from Madhatter
So the turret is now together:)

And I used a bit of flory wash to highlight the vent details on the top

Ignore the slight fogging, that was just where I blew on it to hurry the drying!

Need to start getting the decals on next, so I gave the body parts another spray of future to seal in the weathering/panel lining and to give me a nice surface for the decals

So next up, its decals

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:15:07 AM by Hunter Rose »

October 28, 2015, 12:49:46 PM
Reply #4

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Another small update, was about to start decals but got distracted by painting some details on the side bits that are behind a clear cover (no idea what they are for)

It may look a little stark, but the clear covers are going to get a dark smoke paint job so it will be toned down and still hopefully a bit visible

And while I was planning on doing doing decals before getting the bits together I couldn't resist it now the turret is done, so its now together, and I also got the side bits in place

So now next its definitely decals

October 28, 2015, 12:55:09 PM
Reply #5

blacklotus

• Information
    • View Profile
looking great, can't wait to see it with decals on

October 28, 2015, 11:55:49 PM
Reply #6

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile

November 03, 2015, 01:17:08 PM
Reply #7

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Just a little update to say im still up to my wrists in micro sol and micro set with the fiddley decals.

Still got quite a few to go on the front end and underside, then its just canopy and missiles on and after a matte varnish it'll be done.

November 04, 2015, 12:14:05 AM
Reply #8

blacklotus

• Information
    • View Profile

November 04, 2015, 12:17:43 AM
Reply #9

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cheers Black Lotus! I'm hoping the next update will be the last and I'll have final pics posted  :-)

November 11, 2015, 02:57:14 AM
Reply #10

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Its now all done! Just got missiles and canopy in place, and after a transparent black spray of the clear shoulder parts, got them on too

Here a link to the complete topic http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=7158.0

Thanks to everyone who contributed :-)