Author Topic: 1/24 Extreme Turbine Combat Racer - Kitbash  (Read 40096 times)

August 06, 2012, 12:11:48 PM
Reply #60

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Yeah the camera never lies!  :lol:
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 06, 2012, 06:29:27 PM
Reply #61

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
The surface is looking really nice and clean now though! I agree about the camera, I'm sure pre-internet modelling would have been much easier...

August 06, 2012, 10:48:49 PM
Reply #62

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
haha yeah! I think I need to get a rose tinted lense for it  :D
'Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!' ~ Black Dynamite

August 09, 2012, 12:15:58 PM
Reply #63

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Okay got a chance to get in the shed and do some work, finally feel like I've got some momentum going with this build again.

Sanded down the putty in the 2 small areas that needed it and resprayed the primer and its looking good

Sprayed some tamiya flat black on the top of the dashboard and inside the cockpit area so you cant see any white areas through the windows and just for the hell of it and because I haven't used my airbrush in a while did some preshading.

I then FINALLY got the cockpit inside

Then as I was about to get the bottom on I realised after a dry fit that you can see the white of the plastic through the windows if you hold it at an angle, so primed it

And sprayed it black

Also my cockpit additions mean the bottom doesn't quite sit in position right, its set forward slightly. Which doesn't matter it just means at the front the bottom piece doesn't sit behind the lip its on it, so I'll need to fill and sand that area.
Its actually a bonus in a way because it means the styrene coated wire I added as a lip to the weapon pods now sit flush with the bottom which will make filling and shaping that area more simple.

Sweet so now thats done I can start sorting out the back end of the combat racer.

Thanks for looking guys more soon!  :-)

August 09, 2012, 01:24:14 PM
Reply #64

struschie

• Strahl Demokratische Republik
  • Information
    • View Profile
Gooooooooooooood!!!!
Really looking forward the back now :)

August 10, 2012, 01:50:11 AM
Reply #65

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks struschie!  :-)

Plan for the back is to have the original engine block in its original place on what remains of the back with the two jet engines either side, which I'm thinking of incorporating some star wars space ship bits on for wings/airbrakes. More on that soon!

August 10, 2012, 02:38:52 PM
Reply #66

Will Vale

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm really looking forward to the contrast between the smooth bodywork and the engine nurnies. It's going to be great :)

August 11, 2012, 10:33:16 AM
Reply #67

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Cheers Will! Yeah a stark contrast like that is exactly what I'm going for

Just a small update today, began work on the back, although to start with I got the bottom plate that would usually lock the suspension in place stuck on

And cut a little more off the back after some dry test fitting of the jet engines

Then I got the regular Porsche engine in place

I then glued it into position as this will have to be fixed in place and painted as it wont fit past the jet engines once they are on

The jet engines will be added either side, and they will also need some paint before being affixed as it will be to awkward once in.  Heres a rough idea of positon

More soon thanks for looking  :-)

August 11, 2012, 11:19:35 PM
Reply #68

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam

August 13, 2012, 01:03:00 PM
Reply #69

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks Nick!

Got some shed time in today, so started by priming the engine

Also cut a piece of styrene to cover the majority of the gap underneath where the wheels would have been, this will give me a base to start filling the smaller gaps from

Also after fooling around with parts of the pod racer came up with what will now be an engine cover, it was originaly one of the parts for the pod racer engines, but once its painted the green of the main body I think it will look cool and help tie together the back and front while maintaing the contrast I'm after.

And for airbrakes/steering help I'm going to use some parts from an easy build anakin skywalker jedi fighter.

Glued a bit of pipe on the bottom edge and will blend it into a black plastic screw cover as a pivot/hinge

So it will roughly look like this

The white tack is making it stick out a little further than it will, and this isn't necessarily the final position, and I'm toying with the idea of putting two on each side, one above the other

Next thing will be to start sorting out the underside, and hopefully it wont be too long before I get to load up the airbrush with some paint!

Thanks for looking guys more soon  :D

August 18, 2012, 01:33:40 PM
Reply #70

ultramini

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Ultramini!
Make Everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Galleries and WIP on Flickr!
My Blog (in italian)

August 19, 2012, 01:04:56 PM
Reply #71

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Thanks ultramini!

Okay so I've got the underside pretty much sorted out now.

Started by covering over the remaining gaps with .5mm styrene sheet, And I apologise in advance for the next two photos, they were taken with my phone and thus are pretty crap!

And puttyed the living crap out of it

Then more hardcore sanding with the 320 grit

Also finished off the dash board control unit, and then forgot about photo's till I'd got it stuck in place  :doh:
Stuck a dial decal in the big hole in the middle, put clear red and green into the medium sized holes on the left and added some little levers/switches with some piano wire

Just had to add a little more putty to a couple of of spots on the underside and its done, so glad to get that done and dusted. I'm going to add pipes and engine out takes and stuff too, which will be what provides the upward lift to make it hover.

Should be more soon guys, thanks for looking  :-)

August 23, 2012, 12:31:32 PM
Reply #72

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Finally got a chance to get in the shed, my little 6 month old daughter is keeping me pretty damn busy at the minute!

Started by sanding down the putty to touch up the couple of imperfections after the last round of puttying and sanding on the underside, then giving it a spray of primer

I kept looking at it telling myself it was fine, its fine theres a couple of funny spots but its the underside no one will see it.... But I will know they are there *sigh* so a little more sanding and I used some super glue to fill a couple of cracks

Happily after a spray of primer on the front, that bit of putty and sanding looks fine.

I also superglued my side fins onto the hinge/pivot part that will then glue onto the engines. Once its dry I'll blend the white styrene tube into the black hing part with some aves so it doesn't look like its just been glued on

Made a decision on the gun placement, going to have the flat edge of the beam cannons rest against the sides of the bonnet at the front, I was hoping that this would also cover the gap, no such luck! So I cut some pieces of .5mm styrene and covered them over.

There are still some slight gaps btween the styrene and the car, so I just used some super glue slightly as filler, but mainly to act as support when I spread putty over it and then sand it down.

Should be working on this over the weekend, going to make a start at detailing the underside once I've sanded down the superglue thats flilled some of the cracks.

Thanks for looking guys, more soon  :D

August 26, 2012, 12:24:20 PM
Reply #73

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Update time!

Got the side bits covered in putty and sanded it down, did also use some aves to fill gaps and add support when I sand the putty so it doesn't crack under the pressure

Also sanded down the superglue I used as filler underneath and some other spots before priming

Then primed the sides of the bonnet

I then got the aves out to blend in the hinge bits, which I also doubled up with another at an angle, looked a bit underwhelming with just the one.

Before I do anything else I'm going to mask out the windows and put them in place. The kit does come with pre cut masks but they do not stick very well at all, it kept peeling up at the edges. So I'll justuse some tamiya tape and leave a gap around the edge, 1 for the frame and 2 to cover where they glue onto the car to cover any marks.

More soon thanks for the interest  :-)

August 27, 2012, 03:36:24 AM
Reply #74

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile
Was Long time not here - nice to see you making good progress...!!!

August 27, 2012, 08:00:22 AM
Reply #75

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Was Long time not here - nice to see you making good progress...!!!

Thanks struschie! Yeah I'm just about keeping the momentum going on this one!

Just a tiny update today, masked the windows and got them in place.

I'm glad to have the cockpit sealed away, now I dont have to worry about dust and primer getting in there! Plus its nice to see the shape come together now the windows are all in place.

Thanks for looking guys  :-)

August 27, 2012, 09:03:20 AM
Reply #76

struschie

• Information
    • View Profile

August 27, 2012, 03:56:41 PM
Reply #77

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
I think you did the right thing fixing the bottom. Those funny spots would drive me crazy too! And it's not like detailing the whole engine and then cementing the hood over it... some people would check the bottom.

I like to think of those precut masks for the windows as templates for real masking. You stick it over the tape you want to use and then cut around it  :D

Can't wait to see more of the engine.

August 28, 2012, 01:54:46 AM
Reply #78

Hunter Rose

• Information
  • aka Grendel
    • View Profile
Yes - now get the boom in !

Hahaha! Patience dude!  :D

I like to think of those precut masks for the windows as templates for real masking. You stick it over the tape you want to use and then cut around it  :D

Can't wait to see more of the engine.

Man! Why didn't I think of that! :stupid: Good tip. And engine stuff will be sorted soon, need to add a little bit of aves for where the jet turbines meet the car body, but even before they or any other bits go on I'm going to have to paint the engine as I wont be able to reach it once the jet engines are in place

Thanks for the interest guys  :-)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:07:24 AM by Hunter Rose »

August 28, 2012, 12:45:20 PM
Reply #79

Sharkdog

• Premium Blend.
  • Information
  • 4 8 15 16 23 42
    • View Profile
Steady work there, Hunter. I'm looking forward to more engine stuff, cause the front body is looking pretty much finished now :)