Author Topic: "The Show Must Go On!" Hello Mr. Snowman  (Read 2962 times)

April 09, 2011, 09:16:19 AM
Read 2962 times

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120

Well it's about &%#$@ time I stopped crying about the ground moving, building swaying, no milk, toilet paper or Radiation Free Tang and got back to making something important, plastic models so...

Hello Mr. Green Snowman! He’ll be white-ish soon enough. Ok, he already is, WIP photos are still catching up.

For my friends whom enquire into my random processes, -STFU Struschie  :P- I tried taking some more pics along the way to break it down into little steps. The bench top/non studio photos might work better for me, they seem to interrupt my flow less which is a good thing. My “studio” shares the same workspace so…

The following correspond to here, when you hear the bell ring, turn the page and look at the pics. There's secret boobies in one of them. http://www.scale120.com/?p=3072

Start – a nice, solid base of roughly 50/50 Mahogany and Flat Black from Mr. Color in 2 light coats with a large, round brush shown.

Next a light coat of Mr. Color Field Gray, again with the same large round brush that I use for almost everything.

Next a couple of different variations on the theme, I add RLM02 Gray to lighten the base in places and some Gray Green to further lighten it in places. Not going for any kind of lighting or effects here, just breaking up the green gray finish for interest.

As you can see, (well no you can't, I didn't link the pics, go here like I asked ya http://www.scale120.com/?p=3072)I use a paint mixer from WAVE, one of the best ¥1,000 I ever spent and pour Gaia Notes T-07 “Moderate Thinner” from a home made shaker bottle inspired by Yokoyama Sensei, cleaning the paint mixer with the thinner and then using that same large round brush for all steps.

Nice and easy and it’s not a bad looking, basic green suit. You could decal this up, add a couple of washes and do a little drybrushing and call it done but I have other plans this time. ^^

Linc

Please go here and mash "like" even if you hate it. I can show Kow and Max how much gaijin love Ma.K!  :D

http://www.scale120.com/?p=3072
Please check out my new online Gallery and Progress Reports!

Scale120

April 09, 2011, 09:48:30 AM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Nice to see the "sloppy miracle" technique is still producing such great results. Those brass parts look nice as well.

April 10, 2011, 07:27:45 PM
Reply #2

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
"The Sloppy Miracle", I love it!! I had a bit of time and like to come back and do this on the suits. Will break out airbrush for the next big one though. Brass bits re snazzy, just a little pricey which is a shame. This will be white wash #4 and trying it a little differently. Well, I think it's different...

Scale120

April 11, 2011, 03:31:00 AM
Reply #3

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Looks great as usual man. I got my copy of Hobby Japan the other day.  The pics look great.  To bad I don't know Japanese.  :meh:

SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

April 11, 2011, 03:59:47 AM
Reply #4

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
thanks Matt, translation coming I promise!!

Scale120

April 17, 2011, 06:52:47 AM
Reply #5

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120

Now getting close to his namesake, my SAFS is looking decidely more “Snowman” in his winter white wash.

I don’t have that much experience with this finish, I’ve done 2 suits in a very full and new looking snow camo and a Gans in red-primer/snow camo splinter pattern. So for this next one, I wanted to experiment with it looking slightly worn. Not too much, this is the Snowman after all and I think it should be mostly white.

Additionally, I wanted the white wash to appear to have been painting around some existing markings on the suit. To do this, I did in fact paint around some existing markings on the suit by adding a selection of the decals to the green finish first and then carefully outlining them with the white wash. It looks realistic because it is!

The larger decal was almost cooperating and after some coaxing with decal softener from Mr. Hobby I used some advice I received from Max Watanabe that he kindly explained whilst looking through his new book with him – blasting the decals with hot air from a hair dryer. It might be one of those common solutions but I had not heard of it before and it works a charm!

Next and to keep the name dropping going and prove I value my sources is one of the best tips I’ve had from master Maschinen modeller, Genzo “Drunk Dog” Ihara, to use Gaia Notes “Interior Color”, an excellent off-white to start your snow camo.

Mixing it with some self levelling thinner and using a quite old and splayed brush, I’ve given the model 2 to 3 rounds with progressively thinner paint to achieve a more layered look and to give it apparent depth which it in fact has due to the 3 different layers.

Couple more large pics of the suit here; http://www.scale120.com/?p=3090

The white wash is not completely finished, I would consider this more the foundation to apply a couple more effects and layers.

Thanks for looking, hope you get as much out of these steps as I did!!

Linc

Scale120

April 13, 2013, 08:21:59 AM
Reply #6

Jiloo

• Information
  • | keep-disco-evil |
    • View Profile
I know this is old thread but it was helpful. Thank you Lincoln.

April 13, 2013, 06:51:34 PM
Reply #7

Lin.K

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • Scale120
Thanks Jiloo and you are most welcome.

Scale120