Author Topic: MG MK-II Ver 2.0  (Read 2946 times)

April 02, 2007, 04:06:32 AM
Read 2946 times

thegreatsze

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 84
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
I began this with Danny Choo's "busy person" Gundam painting method in mind: http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/213/Gundam+Modeling+Tutorial/

Suffice it to say I found the process unsatisfactory. (This is personal to me, of course.)  Airbrushing parts while on the runner sounds like a good idea, but the cleanup after detaching the parts from the sprue (x-acto knifing, sanding etc) just destroys the paintwork too absolutely - the second coat of paint might as well have been the first. I have no idea how Danny got the result he achieved with his method: http://www.dannychoo.com/images/photo/blogg_thumbs/539.jpg If anyone knows, please do let me know!

Anyway, I went back to the traditional method in the end. Here is the end result. Please fire when ready.

To view larger images, right-click on the image and select "View Image".



Danny Choo method. Strewth.



Traditional method. Bleargh.



Before topcoat.



Thrusters.



Front view, after topcoat.



Action Jackson. I messed up the decal on the left shoulder.



Very poseable, this kit. Unfortunately its torso cannot rotate. Also, the legs come off too easily.



The same picture, with lighting adjusted slightly. This is closer to the original colours of the kit.



Indoor lighting. Taken at twilight, hence the odd hue outdoors.

You can see clearly in the last picture that I did not sand away the rifle seam. I have this problem with seams in general. I glue the rifle together with cement. The cement overflows, dries, I sand it away. When I subsequently airbrush onto the sanded rifle, the paint doesn't adhere. I am guessing the glue (whatever's left of it) is preventing the paint from landing and adhering. Does anyone have a similar problem?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 04:22:05 AM by thegreatsze »

April 02, 2007, 06:26:11 AM
Reply #1

thor777

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 122
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
I actually liked the orangy color of the highlights in the first pictures better than the actual yellow color  :P  Painting on the sprue is just more trouble than benefits.  It's not a common practice here  :-)  As for the seam, you can prime your kit prior to painting it.  That should fix your problem.  What cement are you using, btw?

April 02, 2007, 07:04:40 AM
Reply #2

thegreatsze

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 84
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
lol it is orangy. the accurate colour is in the second-to-last pic; the last pic has "indoor lighting" (hence yellowish) colour.

i am using tamiya cement, extra-fine and fine.

April 02, 2007, 08:48:34 AM
Reply #3

NickM

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Help Editors
  • Posts: 233
  • Karma: 1
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
I think it looks excellent. From the pictures I could hardly see the seam on the rifle at all. Sucks about that decal.

April 02, 2007, 10:35:34 AM
Reply #4

thegreatsze

  • *
  • Information
  • Member
  • Posts: 84
  • Karma: 0
    • View Profile
Thanks for your kind words, NickM. Welcome to FFF!




Update: Waterslides applied on rear, waist skirting and legs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:36:14 AM by thegreatsze »